Not Sure if You're Drunk? These Smart Ice Cubes Will Tell You

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,159
Points 1,185,255
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2013 12:18 PM

Are you the sort of drinker who simply doesn't know when to stop? Sometimes, even the best of us can fall into the trap. When you're having a good time, the hours just fly by, and so do the drinks - only to catch up to you as soon as the fun stops and it's time for bed. You close your eyes, the room is spinning, and you swear that you're never going to drink again. Would you like to avoid situations like these? If so, then "Smart Ice Cubes" might be right up your alley.

The creation of smart ice cubes began when MIT researcher Dhairya Dand blacked-out after a couple of drinks and woke up in the hospital the next day - yes, not the simple blackout where you wake up in someone else's car in an unfamiliar part of town. His goal afterwards was to create an ice cube that could detect certain variables and let you know when you've had too much.

Equipped with electronics and LEDs directly inside the cubes themselves, these smart cubes have the ability to pulsate to the music beat in the background. That's more of an aesthetic touch, however, as the real purpose for the cubes is to detect the amount of liquid you're drinking, with the ability to change from green to orange and eventually red when you've had enough (according to the variables that are set). If you continue drinking past the limit, a smart cube will have the ability to text a friend to tell them so. Yes, really.

I'd argue that if you had to resort to a product like this, you're probably best to stay away from alcohol in general, or you'd likely reach a point where you'd just chuck it out of your glass (every decision is the right one when you're drinking, after all). There's no denying how cool this design is, though. It's not often something good comes from a blackout, but this ranks right up there.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 2:40 PM

So, I wasn't able to watch the video in the linked article, but from the text of both articles, this ice cube is simply detecting the amount of liquid consumed, not actually the amount of alcohol. Given the variability of the strength of drinks, I'd question how useful this actually is. Most times people run into problems with drinking more than they realize is when the drinks are stronger than they realize--the cube would only help with this if it actually detected alcohol concentration, not just liquid consumed.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 2:48 PM

Very good point. I can state with assurance that the 8.7% beer I consumed over the weekend hit me a lot quicker than a 5% one ;-)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,012
Points 9,455
sevags replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:56 PM

This sounds like the perfect drinking game to me...... "alright everyone put one of these LED ice cubes in your cup and step up to the bartender, the first to get their cube to light up wins, the last to get their cube to light up has to do an extra shot."

Where can I preorder?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,647
Points 104,065
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:19 PM

Will people pay attention to these cubes once they turn red?

Most drinkers I've known wouldn't,.........

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:04 PM

I know by my 7th drink i'm not going to be thinking about my ice cubes.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS