Ease of Use

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 Posted: Sat, Jan 5 2013 3:20 PM

The next time someone tells me the benefit of Windows 8 is that it is so much easier to use, I want to sit them down at a Windows 8 machine and an Ubuntu machine and see how long it takes them to add a networked HP Color Laserjet 2600n printer.

The Ubuntu experience is about 8 or nine mouse clicks, then you're printing.  It literally takes less than a minute.

The Win8 experience I just had was 15 minutes of hair-pulling as you have to go around the "improved" 'add printer' process to bring up the old dialog (because the new one won't find the printer nor let you add it manually.  The old dialog then doesn't have the driver (nor is there one on HP's web site).  Only after several web searches did I find out that the "Windows Update" button they added to the printer dialog will, despite all intuition, find new printer drivers - even on a system that you've already applied all "Windows Updates" to (They need to rename that button 'Windows Printer Driver Updates').  I finish adding it... hit "print test page"... and...  THE PROGRAM YOU ARE RUNNING HAS QUIT RESPONDING...  Yep, it crashed the printer dialog while printing the test page.  Luckily, printing does seem to work from apps now... even though 'print test page' continually crashes without producing any page.

All of this while my wife and daughter are behind me saying things like "Hurry up... we need that printed so that I can take it to this birthday party that starts in 5 minutes..."

Rant over...  feel better.  Thanks for listening.  :)

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

considering most people think adding a wired printer is hard because you need a square ubs cord...lol (I know its spelled wrong)

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator

3vi1:
Rant over...  feel better.  Thanks for listening

Win-8 found my OKI B410dn Laser printer and installed it in the background.

Not that I'm defending Win-8. I think it suxs big time.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,365
Points 30,865
rrplay replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:35 PM

3vi1:
,,,,All of this while my wife and daughter are behind me saying things like "Hurry up... we need that printed so that I can take it to this birthday party that starts in 5 minutes..."

Rant over...  feel better.  Thanks for listening.  :)

Not getting on the Win8 bandwagon, but can feels ya pain @3vi1 ..and to sorta makes you feels any better at least they did not say the dreaded

"How long is this going to take?" or worse ... "Now! how long is this going to take?"

Sometimes  'style' Drinks points are a heck of a lot better than spellin' points  hey Der Beer Meister ? Smile

Cheers guys !

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS