Apple's iOS 6.0.2 Update Fixes Wi-Fi, Might Also Drain Battery Life

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 21 2012 10:23 AM
Let's start with the good news. Apple's over-the-air (OTA) iOS 6.0.2 update is available and it brings with it a fix for "a bug that could impact Wi-Fi." Great, say goodbye to Wi-Fi glitches. And hey, the Mayans messed up; the world didn't end today, or at least it hasn't yet, so that's good news too, right?

As for the bad news, well, here we go with battery life complaints again. Some iPhone 5 users are reporting battery drain issues after applying the update.

"It is absolutely draining my battery," an iPhone owner posted in Apple's support forum. "I can usually get through a day with about 75 percent of my battery power remaining. Today I've gone through 90 percent and I've done nothing special with it."

iPhone Battery Slide

Other iPhone owners have chimed in with similar complaints, which would rule out an isolated incident.

"This is a significant change in battery drain," another iPhone owner posted, adding that even though he barely used his iPhone, the battery life dropped to 40 percent after just 3 hours.

Have you installed the update on your mobile device? If so, are you noticing any quirky behavior related to battery life or anything else?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 11:08 AM

I installed it. Wi-fi still sucks (and always has at my house), and my battery life seems the same. I honestly haven't noticed a single difference.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 12:28 PM

I wasn't aware there was an update until now. I don't have wifi issues with my phone (any wifi issue I have is due to my router and my location to it) so I think I'll skip this update since battery life is more important to me than wifi especially after AT&T turned on LTE for the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles on Monday more than doubling my bandwidth over night.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 12:45 PM

sevags:

I wasn't aware there was an update until now. I don't have wifi issues with my phone (any wifi issue I have is due to my router and my location to it) so I think I'll skip this update since battery life is more important to me than wifi especially after AT&T turned on LTE for the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles on Monday more than doubling my bandwidth over night.

I've had issues with wi-fi since my iphone 3g.  For some reason I just have crappy wi-fi in my house, but it works fine anywhere else.  I've tried just about everything over the past 2 years, and nothing has worked.  I'm chalking it up to the FIOS router being utter crap.  Since my job pays for my phone bill, I use LTE when my wifi isn't acting right.  They haven't said a word about going over my 2gb data limit yet, lol.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Dec 21 2012 1:07 PM

By your own explanation it's clear that your wifi issues haven't been with your phone and this update or any other won't be changing that for you. It could be any number of things though. You live in a house? Have you ever ran a wifi analyzer to see what wifi and channels your neighbors are using so you could avoid using the same? Any major power lines near your home? Do you have a landline using cordless phones on either the 2.4 or 5ghz spectrums? Is he router near other wireless devices or next to lots of metal? ie. television, metal stands, game consoles.

I have wifi issues when our 5ghz cordless phone is in use or when I'm in my garage which then places a refrigerator between me and my router.

What router are you using the one your service provider gave you? Big no-no... Is it even wifi N? I have AT&T Uverse who's cable modem comes with a built in .11g wireless router. The moment the Uverse tech left after installation I disabled the wireless radio in their modem and connected my own personal wireless N router, the difference is night and day. If there any router I would recommend it's the Asus Dark Knight with which a few tweaks to the settings will get you entire in home and even drive-way coverage.

Who is your cell provider? AT&T provides 3gb of data before being throttled, th probably won't tell you anything unless you are incurring overage charges lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 26 2012 5:42 PM

So I started to reply to you on Friday, then got stuck having a chat with our new accountant at work.

1. Yes I live in a house.

- My router is about 20 feet away from me on the 2nd floor, I can actually see it from what I sit as it's a open loft area.

2. Never used a analyzer of any sort, only test equipment i have is a multimeter and a photo tachometer.

3. Yeah, there's land/power lines running next to our house.

4. No phones

5. It's next to a cat litter box, that's about it.

6. I don't remember the router (can't go up there right this second to look, it's manufactured by ActionTec), it's whatever Verizon FIOS offered 2 years ago. I was going to replace it with my old trusty router, but the router they supply has something to do with televison service, and i'll lose on demand services if I switch it out.

Yeah, I got AT&T. I don't have issues with 3g/4g/Lte speeds, just wifi. I think i have 2gb of data on my plan right now, i just recently changed it. I really don't care if I go over, i'm not paying for it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS