Samsung Takes Over As Top Cell Phone Brand In 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 18 2012 1:37 PM

For the past 14 years, Nokia has been the top cell phone brand. This year, there's a new leader: Samsung. According to analytics provider IHS, Samsung is expected to ship 29 percent of the world's cell phones in 2012. Last year, Samsung had 24 percent of the market and held the No. 2 spot.

In 2011, Nokia held the No. 1 spot with 30 percent of the market share. This year, Nokia's share will drop to 24 percent. Nokia has held the No. 1 spot since 1998. Overall, IHS expects global smartphone shipments to rise by 35.5 percent this year. Shipments of cell phones are expected to increase by approximately 1 percent. With the extreme growth in smartphone shipments, overall smartphone penetration is expected to hit 47 percent.

In addition to being the No. 1 cell phone brand, Samsung is also expected to have the best performance in the smartphone market. Apple comes in at No. 2. In 2011, Samsung and Apple were neck-and-neck in the smartphone battle with 20 percent and 19 percent of the market, respectively. In 2012, Samsung widened its lead over Apple in the smartphone market by rising to 28 percent while Apple increased to 20 percent. Nokia, HTC, and RIM rounded out the top 5 smartphone vendors.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:36 PM

I'm guessing that Nokia has (or had now) a dominance in non-smartphone cell phones?

And now Samsung has taken the spot but the interesting thing is how little we ever hear about a phone that isn't a smartphone.

Is the first graph a combonation of smart and standard cell phones or just standard?

Either way I think it would be interesting to hear about what's going on (if anything at all is happening) with non-smartphone cell phones

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

I've owned several nokia device, also has the samsung Galaxy ace now. id say nokia is better overall coz you will be satisfied with the phones, excellent after sale cheap support service is also no problem with rough use. I saved $20 with Amazon India Coupons when i bought samsung device. While it seems good and comes with a good price, the set is not good, spare battery also reduces quickly after sale support is worse, spare parts are costly, I think LG and Sony Ericsson has better service from samsung.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS