Dual monitor

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Points 4,845
ljCharlie Posted: Mon, Dec 17 2012 2:54 PM

Instead of having one video card that have two monitor out, is it possible to have two of the same brand/type of video card for a dual monitor? Will it work if I have two physically video card in the same computer that each have one monitor out for a dual (extended) monitor?

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:47 PM

Yep, it will work just fine.  I don't really see a reason you would need to do it though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Points 4,845
ljCharlie replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 3:56 PM

We have a bunch of same brand/type of single monitor video card laying around. We also have some monitors. So, I like to know if I can just put two of this video cards in one computer and utilize dual monitors. I was not sure Windows would handle two video cards connecting to two monitors and have them work in extended mode.

Many thanks for the response.

--Frank Outlaw
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 4:17 PM

It would but there's really no purpose or need to have a dedicated graphics card for each monitor.
Even low end and integrated GPU's have multi-monitor support and will work fine as long as you're not trying to dual-monitor game (also not ideal so I don't see why you'd be doing that)

Are you trying to get dual monitors to run off a desktop or laptop?
And depending on which, do you know your hardware specs and your goal for dual screens and what types of monitors you'd want to use? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Points 4,845
ljCharlie replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:41 AM

OSunday:

It would but there's really no purpose or need to have a dedicated graphics card for each monitor.
Even low end and integrated GPU's have multi-monitor support and will work fine as long as you're not trying to dual-monitor game (also not ideal so I don't see why you'd be doing that)

So, how do I get a dual extended monitor with one video card that only has one DVI output for one monitor?

OSunday:

Are you trying to get dual monitors to run off a desktop or laptop?
And depending on which, do you know your hardware specs and your goal for dual screens and what types of monitors you'd want to use? 

No. I have a desktop that I need to have two monitor in extended mode because I have lots of windows at the same time and I need that extra monitor. I have two HP L2245w monitors.

--Frank Outlaw
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 10:02 AM

All you need is a splitter such as these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011304&p_id=2518&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750035

Although, generally your video card is going to have two outputs.  Typically you'll have 2 outputs, one being DVI, and the other being one of these:  HDMI, VGA, DVI, Display port, and the mini versions of some of those as well.  It doesn't matter if you have 1 monitor using dvi, and 1 using vga, both will work simultaneously. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 243
Points 4,845
ljCharlie replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 1:39 PM

Dorkstar:

All you need is a splitter such as these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750035

Although, generally your video card is going to have two outputs.  Typically you'll have 2 outputs, one being DVI, and the other being one of these:  HDMI, VGA, DVI, Display port, and the mini versions of some of those as well.  It doesn't matter if you have 1 monitor using dvi, and 1 using vga, both will work simultaneously. 

None of those splitter works. I already got the Tripp Lite Model P564-001 and it didn't work. I already contacted Tripp Lite and they the only way is to have a video card that have dual output. The splitter only duplicates one monitor to the second. Again, I want "extended" mode not duplicate. Thus, my question in this thread is, can I use two video card with single monitor out for dual "extended" mode?

--Frank Outlaw
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 1:58 PM

Never heard of such a thing.  I've always used splitters with various brand and models of graphics cards, including both workstation GPU's as well as gaming GPU's.  I've never had an issue with it not going to extended mode.  But sure enough, I just did a little research and apparently some people have the same issue as you.

The solution appears to be either getting a 2nd video card, which will run another display in extended mode, or getting a USB to VGA/DVI such as this one : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/StarTech.com+-+USB-to-DVI+Video+Adapter/9814467.p?id=1218177929067&skuId=9814467&st=usb-to-dvi&cp=1&lp=2

What kind of graphics card you using anyhow?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Tue, Dec 18 2012 5:45 PM

You won't be able to get two monitors from a single card with a single DVI output.

Is that the only output that it has or does it also have a VGA and possibly HDMI or Display port? 
If it has other connections other than DVI you could just connect one monitor to DVI and another to VGA or something of the sort.

Do you know the specifications and type of graphics card you're using?
As well as the specs on your computer so I can look up some potential solutions to this, that information is kind of crucial to solving your problem 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS