Ca-Fi Reveals 7" Dashlinq Android-Based In-Car NAV System

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,707
Points 1,207,995
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:36 PM
In-car entertainment has changed a lot over the years, and for the most part, we're living in an era where the electronics in one's vehicle is actually pretty impressive. No, voice directions don't really work as they should, and it's all pretty hit-or-miss, but when you consider that integrated iPod support is pretty much a standard feature now, it's clear that we're stabbing in the right direction. Starting next year, we'll have one more company to pay attention to in this space. Ca-Fi has just announced a new 7" Dashlinq system -- it's a double-DIN unit that offers a touch screen as well as Android.

Yes, Android in a car. Of course, it's using Android 2.3, which is ancient by smartphone standards, but it's still a far more open and flexible car OS than anything else we're seeing shipped from automotive factories themselves. It can act as a GPS navigation system, a media player, and even an Internet portal through 3G or Wi-Fi. The product should arrive early next year for just over 500 Euros, but it's unclear if it'll be sold only as a standalone unit or as a bundled piece from select automakers.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 9:54 AM

Heh, maybe in the future these things will be a little more powerful, and we can game while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.  Still, a unit like this has a lot of potential, the abilities are endless when you have an open source device.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:49 AM

This is awesome, I've been waiting for something like Android or Linux to pop in car systems, I don't understand why the price point is so while only running Android 2.3?

I can see the screen and other car specific components raising the price, but with the price of hardware in phones, something similar should be able to found to be implemented in to a car's Nav/Stereo system for a reasonable price.

On the same note since this is sort of a first of it's kind device, they may not want to invest that much into it because a car stereo won't be used for the same applications as a phone would and it might be an experimental product to see how people respond so they don't want to put to much money behind it if it isn't succesful

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 11:50 AM

I could see this causing more accidents from distractions on the screen and at the same time it could makes hand free calling and integration more streamlined so could potentially result in minimized distractions and less accidents at the same time

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS