Shortcuts

Forsaken Fortress, a Cross-Platform (PC, Mac, Linux) Survival RPG Comes to Kickstarter

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 15 2012 12:28 PM
What do you do when the world jumps into its hand basket? You build a fort and survive, of course. And while you’re waiting for the apocalypse, a good way to practice might be Forsaken Fortress, should it come to pass. Think of a post-apocalyptic version of The Sims and you’re in the right neighborhood.

Forsaken Fortress

If you build it, they will come. Unfortunately, "they" are swarms of murderers and monsters.

The survival RPG's publisher, Photon Productions, is raising money for the project on Kickstarter. The game is cross-platform: Linux, Mac, and PC. Pledges can get you the digital download for free, as well as in-game items and other goodies.

The game, which is slated for Oct. 2013, lets you assemble a team of NPCs to build and defend your fort. Going out on raids is important, too – you’ll need materials for improving your fort during your “downtime,” as Photo Productions puts it in one video. So if building your fort is what you do in your downtime, it’s no surprise that your uptime is spent fighting off rival gangs and unhuman beasts.

Interestingly, Forsaken Fortress characters are designed to have emotions and act on them. This could give the game real depth – characters will behave based on their personalities and on what’s happening to them – you’ll want to keep a close eye on how your team is feeling before you head into battle. Steam users can also find the game in Steam Greenlight.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:15 PM

Yes! It's like a full scale SIM for "The Walking Dead"... minus zombies though lol

I remember when I was in middle school every time I'd walk through home depot, walmart or HEB (supermarket unique to Texas) I'd think of what I'd need, use or do with things to survive the apocalypse.

I'm about to go check out the kickstarter and see if I have any $ in my account to see if I can help fund this and get the game early and vote for it on Greenlight as well.

Also on a side note, I have no idea what this means: "What do you do when the world jumps into its hand basket?"

Is that a common saying or something?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 7:01 PM

This game sounds rather cool, and much like that other game... I can't remember the name, and I probably google it for 30 minutes every 2 months to remember the name.  Anyhow, it's a similar type scenario, except I believe it's first person, made by a popular gaming studio.

However, this one appears unique in it's Sims type style.  When I first saw the screenshot I was hoping for more of a counterstrike type gameplay here, that appeals to me more than the sims does.  Either way, this game sounds like a good $20 midnight purchase on a quiet night with a bottle of rum.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:43 PM

Try and remember that name for me pretty please! haha

And there's something equally as enjoyable about being able to let things run a bit of their own course in a SIM as there is in a FPS style game... and it sounds fun, but I don't understand where combining it with rum comes from? haha

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
FubarJeb replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 12:24 PM

I think you are refering to the Fallout series.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 12:59 PM

You might be right?
I thought he was referring to something else that might be "new" so I was feeling excited and discounted Fallout since I haven't heard anything about a new one being released 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 2:06 PM

FubarJeb:

I think you are refering to the Fallout series.

No this is a newer game, kind of TF2 style graphics.  I believe it's set for release in Q2 2013.  I'll google around for a second and see if i can find it.

Well, I can't find it.  The video starts off with a few guys walking up to their makeshift fortress built with roadsigns and other various debri they gathered around the city.  One guy is pushing a shopping cart full of additional items, then the zombies come out, the camera falls to the ground, and all the guys run into their fortress and close the gate behind them.  

It looks like it's going to be a very entertaining twist on the typical zombie games released by bigger studios.  I can't recall who was making this one, but regardless, it looked good.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 5:46 PM

So it was newer game... and in TF2 style?! haha the Hype is back up.
I've never seen anything remotely close to the description of that trailer though, but it's gonna be hilarious when later one someone gets that "Eureka!" moment and realizes the mysterious game whose name no one knew, actually has a name.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Wed, Dec 19 2012 12:13 PM

War Z maybe? or the  Day Z mod for ARMA 2?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 20 2012 3:43 PM

Don't even talk about War Z, it's literally on the biggest rip offs I've ever seen and is a scam game. It's got copyrighted material from the walking dead in its artwork and is trying to steal from the popularity and success of Day Z while offering terrible game support and customer service. It was literally pulled from Steam recently.

Day Z on the other hand is amazing, it's been so successful Arma II's developers offered the guy a job to make Day Z a standalone game (which he gladly took and is working on atm btw) 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

The other game is probably State of Decay.

Going back to this one, though, the game that sounds closest to this one is Dead State. That's the Zombie Survival Simulator that sounds almost exactly like this one.

Not surprisingly, these two games are the most highly anticipated games on my list, next to Clockwork Empire.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS