Google Details "Winter Cleaning," Closing Out Certain Services

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,886
Points 1,116,990
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:25 PM
For the past few years, Google's been making a concerted effort to act a little more mature. A little less "throwing things against the wall," and a little more focused. Every quarter or so, the company makes the tough decision to sunset certain projects that simply aren't impacting a large enough crowd. You have to make careful choices in terms of resources when you're running a company like Google, and now the company is announcing a "winter cleaning" that'll zap a few tools that many readers may be presently using. Starting 1/4/2013, several of the less popular Google Calendar features will be extinguished.

Perhaps more importantly, Google Sync -- which was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol -- will be eliminated. Existing users will be able to continue using the service, but everyone else will need to tap into CardDAV. The Issue Tracker Data API allows client applications to view and update issues on Project Hosting on Google Code in the form of Google Data API feeds, but it'll be shut down in June. Punchd is an app that keeps loyalty punch cards on your smartphone, and it'll be closed on June 7th. The Via link below details all of the changes, and you can feel free to shed a tear in the comments section.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 10:57 AM

I was sad the day google shutdown google labs, it just seemed it was them killing off their creative side.  Although I was happy to hear they continued creating new things, just not under google labs, which I never really quite understood why.  

I have to say that punchd actually sounds awesome, I just don't think the phone users of today are ready for it.  It's much like passbook, unless it's overly simple and requires little to no training, it just never really works out as intended.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 11:55 AM

Although it's disheartening to hear services get closed down just because they don't have a massive user base at the same time it's good news to hear that they'll have more resources and support to put into Google's services that a majority of people do you and continue to improve and make them better

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS