Apple Announces Best iPhone and iPad Apps of 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,918
Points 1,117,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 14 2012 9:03 AM
If you want to know what's trending, a good place to start is iTunes, given the wild popularity of Apple's iPhone and iPad devices. And if you're new to iTunes, a head on over to Apple's newly posted Best of 2012 categories, in which the Cupertino company lists the top sellers in various categories.

For the iPhone, Angry Birds pretty much dominated the paid app category, taking the top spot and appearing four times in the top 20, or five if you count the Bad Piggies spinoff. Here's a look at the top 10 sellers:
  1. Angry Birds Space
  2. Whatsup Messenger
  3. Draw Something
  4. Camera+
  5. Where's My Water
  6. Angry Birds Star Wars
  7. Fruit Ninja
  8. Angry Birds
  9. Bejeweled
  10. Tetris

Best of 2012

On the iPad, Rovio's collection of Angry Birds titles also proved popular, taking pole position and appearing just as many times as on the iPhone. Here's a look at the top 10 sellers:

1. Angry Birds Space HD
  2. Where's My Water?
  3. Pages
  4. Draw Something
  5. Notability
  6. Angry Birds Stars Wars HD
  7. iPhone
  8. Minecraft - Pocket Edition
  9. Where's My Perry?
  10. Words with Friends HD

The most popular free app on the iPhone was YouTube, a logical selection after Apple booted the once native app from iOS. After that, Instagram proved most popular, followed by Draw Something Free, Flashlight, and Facebook. On the iPad, penny pinchers looking for a free ride flocked to Skype, Temple Run, Facebook, Netflix, and The Weather Channel.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 10:32 AM

I'm disappointed they don't have solitaire on there.  I went through 70% of angry birds before I got bored, and played a lot of star dunk.  Then one day I downloaded solitaire and I haven't put it down in about 6 months.  The old classics are still around for a reason you know!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:25 PM

Well Rovio is just absolutely dominating things here.. I don't know why but I could never get into the Angry Birds game series... the game play was fun and entertaining but after a few levels things were repetitive to the point of losing my interest.

I've also got Camera+ but haven't found myself using it over the default camera app.

I've never given Minecraft pocket edition a try although it might be fun, I'd be concerned about controls and capabilities of running a game (even one that doesn't demand much resources) designed for a PC on a phone.

If there were a way to play your saves on your phone and computer that would make it much more appealing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 2:03 PM

OSunday:

Well Rovio is just absolutely dominating things here.. I don't know why but I could never get into the Angry Birds game series... the game play was fun and entertaining but after a few levels things were repetitive to the point of losing my interest.

I've also got Camera+ but haven't found myself using it over the default camera app.

I've never given Minecraft pocket edition a try although it might be fun, I'd be concerned about controls and capabilities of running a game (even one that doesn't demand much resources) designed for a PC on a phone.

If there were a way to play your saves on your phone and computer that would make it much more appealing.

Minecraft pocket edition is only creative mode.  I'm with you on being able to play on servers or at least your single player saves would make minecraft much more appealing.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Sat, Dec 15 2012 8:01 AM

My personal app of the year for ALL YEARS is Pandora. So much free music, and so much new music discovery! I love it. As for games, it'd have to be Bar Oasis. A fun little game about being a bartender, with a neat story and fantastic music. I actually learned about a lot of drinks from this game.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS