Goodbye Apple Maps, Welcome Back Google

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,218
Points 1,187,270
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 13 2012 12:39 AM

In September, Apple ditched Google's mapping data in order to switch to its own maps app. The results were horrible, eventually causing CEO Tim Cook to issue a public apology for the maps fiasco. Apple's troubles didn't end there. Earlier this week, Australian authorities warned people against using Apple Maps and went so far as to call the inaccuracies in Apple Maps a potentially life-threatening issue.

Now, iOS users can rejoice: Google has issued its own mapping application for iOS that brings many of the must-have features people love back to iOS. With Google Maps for iOS, you'll get Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, and of course, Google's reliable maps. Users can also sign in to sync searches, directions, and favorite places with their computer.

Although Google is no longer collecting licensing fees from Apple for the maps backend, the search giant now has the opportunity to make money by displaying ads in the app. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. In the past, Google provided content for Apple's YouTube app. After Apple cancelled the arrangement, Google created its own advertising-supported YouTube app.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:58 AM

For some reason it wouldn't let me post this picture in the comment so I'll just link to it instead but it pretty much sums up this entire article lol

http://hackslurp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/lightsaber.jpg

Apple finally had to bow its head and submit to Google on this one...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 5:02 AM

Good thing they know when to give up. Now I feel like I can safely update to IOS6

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 10:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded it and already like it. My favorite thing so far, I accidentally shook my phone when I was trying to show streetview to my coworker. A popup came on asking for feedback, lol no joke. Seems like it can (most often correctly) guess that if you're shaking your phone, you're not happy with what's on the screen.

I won't have a chance to try voice navigation until later today, so I don't know how well that works.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,661
Points 104,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:01 AM

Both of my cars have a Garmin in them, (and Lifetime maps too) so I don't use Apple's maps at all.

I can't believe that it took this long for them to cave to their customer's opinions though.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:05 AM

I rolled out of bed this morning, saw this on hothardware had tweeted this, and nearly woke up my wife to tell her the good news. Then I realized she probably would be pissed if I woke her up for that.  But I honestly feel like a little boy on Christmas morning right now.  I've been struggling to find a decent alternative solution, google maps website just didn't work the same, and apple maps kept trying to take me places I didn't want to go. 

I just now noticed that it had turn by turn navigation.  I never used Apples because I had to make sure the robot wasn't trying to get me lost.  Now I can sit back knowing ol' google will take me where I need to be.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345
sackyhack replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:12 PM

Alright, just tried voice navigation. Must admit, it's not bad but could be better. The directions were correct, but it only tells you when to turn when you're close to the turn. Maybe that's normal, but after I make a turn, I'm used to other GPSs telling me "in 5 miles turn left on blah blah blah". This one just gives a heads up before a turn, and is silent until the next one. It's not exactly bad, but will take some getting used to after the chatty Mapquest app.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,661
Points 104,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:20 PM

sackyhack:
but after I make a turn, I'm used to other GPSs telling me "in 5 miles turn left on blah blah blah".

That's what my Garmin GPS units do,..............I like that.

They also tell me if I'm speeding (whoops!) and what time I can expect to arrive at my destination.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:16 PM

I'm old fashioned when it comes to map applications.  I personally prefer to look at the list of directions, so I know what I'm looking for miles before I get there.  I'm generally always speeding so a Garmin GPS would probably be on the side of the road if it kept talking back to me.  My wife has a Magellan GPS, every time we get into a big city with skyscrapers, the GPS gets confused on its exact location and tries to put me the wrong direction on one way streets.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,661
Points 104,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 4:33 PM

Dorkstar:
 I'm generally always speeding so a Garmin GPS would probably be on the side of the road if it kept talking back to me.

It's a visual display, not audible. It shows how fast you're going and if you're speeding, it's in red. (I'm a 9-MPH over the limit kind of guy myself)

We tried a Tom-Tom GPS and it was a POS. Same for a friend's Magellan GPS. The two Garmin units seem to work a lot better.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS