First RIM BlackBerry 10 Images Leak to the Web

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,156,825
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 10:40 AM
A Vietnamese website has posted what are supposedly the first real images of Research In Motion's (RIM) upcoming BlackBerry 10-based smartphone. If the pictures aren't legitimate, someone deserves kudos for a fine Photoshopping, because they sure look real. Best of all, they're not blurry, as leaked photos have a nasty tendency to be.

In full view is RIM's L-Series device. Several shots are provided, which allows us to discern a fair amount of details about the upcoming smartphone, such as a removable back cover giving access to the 1,800mAh battery, micro-SIM card, and microSD card slot.

BlackBerry 10 Phone

It's a sleek looking device that bears a partial resemblance to the iPhone. There's a power button on top, micro-USB and micro-HDMI ports on the left side, and a metallic volume rocker on the right side. You can also make out essentials like front- and rear-facing cameras.

BlackBerry 10 Phone Opened

RIM is scheduled to introduce its new line of BlackBerry 10 smartphones on January 30, 2013.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:13 PM

Strange there is no mechanical "home" type button like most phones still have. Personally, I don't like the home buttons as they are another point of failure (mine required 20 clicks to work on my iPhone 4).

However, I do like that you can remove the back on these. Replacing the battery in an iPhone or any other sealed device is ridiculous. Items that have a finite lifespan should be easily accessible as RIM did here.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:17 PM

Lots of growing excitement and anticipation for the upcoming BB10 and the L-series. I really like their time-shift camera, and the ability to bridge BBs to their tablets to avoid a data plan. If they can figure out how to market themselves correctly, and they launch ontime, WITH the backing of their new app world. I could see this being good for all consumers in the long run. Added reinsurance on the security side for business, mixed with the entertainment side for consumers, makes this a very good contender.

Def. a fan of the no-buttons on the face of the unit, I think that alone is an attractive design element. I agree with Dorkstar, having the ability to swap batteries is always a nice and welcomed option for those always on the go.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:59 PM

It reminds me a lot of the DroidX and DroidX2, they're strikingly similar.

While it looks nice, the big question is what the internal components will be and how it'll compete not only hardware wise with Androids and the iPhone but with those two's already established user base, support, communities and marketplaces.

I think that's going to be the biggest obstacle for RIM to overcome with its new line of Blackberry 10 smartphones

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:27 PM

The real issue is if there paying Google who owns Motorola and makes the Droid phones for the design before hand or after (when Big G sues them for it). Oh and those corners 4 sure got Apple's eyes open for another cash crop to prop them up for another month through the means of a lawsuit.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 1:57 AM

That's too true, I guess I'm not the only one who can see the physical design similarities...

Crossing the patent troll bridge is risky business. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 11:13 AM

OSunday:

It reminds me a lot of the DroidX and DroidX2, they're strikingly similar.

While it looks nice, the big question is what the internal components will be and how it'll compete not only hardware wise with Androids and the iPhone but with those two's already established user base, support, communities and marketplaces.

I think that's going to be the biggest obstacle for RIM to overcome with its new line of Blackberry 10 smartphones

Yep, It looks nice enough, but is it going to perform good enough to pull RIM out of the hole?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS