Buying a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Tablet? Save $50 Today Only

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,814
Points 1,213,540
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:51 AM
Don't worry if you missed out on all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals that came and went, there are still bargains to be had as we plunge deeper into the holiday shopping season. One of them comes from Amazon, but you'll have to act fast.

For today only, Amazon is advertising a coupon code to save $50 off the normal price of its Kindle Fire HD 8.9" tablet. Just enter FIREHD89 at checkout and you're golden.

The Kindle Fire HD 8.9" normally sells for $299 for the 16GB model and $369 for 32GB, both with "Special Offers" (sponsored screensavers), or $314 for 16GB and $384 for 32GB without the ads. Amazon's $50 coupon code applies to all four SKUs, so you can snag a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" for as low as $249.

Kindle Fire HD

The coupon code also works with the 4G LTE variants, which run $499/32GB ($514 without Special Offers) and $599 for 64GB ($614 without Special Offers).

As the name suggests, the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" sports an 8.9-inch display with a 1920x1200 resolution. It's also armed with a 1.5GHz dual-core processor with PowerVR 3D graphics, 1GB or RAM, dual wireless antennas, Dolby Audio, micro-HDMI output, micro-USB port, 3.5mm stereo jack, and a front-facing HD camera.

Amazon is aggressively pushing its Kindle Fire line for the holiday season. In addition to today's deal, you can also pick up a Kindle Fire HD 7" at GameStop and receive a $25 Amazon gift card. Select GameStop locations are also offering Kindle Fire HD 8.9" and Kindle Fire 7" with gift card.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:26 PM

I'd really like to pick one of these up for the wife this year. Mainly becuase i'm sure she'd play it for 2 weeks then it would become mine. I'm just not sure if this is the right answer. I can probably spend the $249 and be fine for the holidays, but is the kindle fire the right answer here? Anyone have any opinions? I don't want anything that is going to be overly difficult for her to figure out, but I also don't want something that is...for lack of better terms, crap.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:33 PM

Dang that's an appealing deal.. I probably would've asked my parents to snag this up for me as a Christmas gift but it can't compete with the $150 Nexus 7 I've already got an offer for.

I also still can't get over the complaints and factors involving advertising and marketing from Amazon through the Kindle line of products

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 2:41 PM

What? Your parents buy you tech related gifts? Every year my wife asks me what I want for christmas, and every year I tell her to get me a giftcard to newegg. Only once have I ever gotten that, or anything tech related. I know from my mom I can expect some overly nerdy gift, that I'll never use. Last year she got me a t-shirt with a built in speaker that allowed you to record sounds. This probably would have been a fun party trick or something had the shirt not been 2 sizes too small.

Hell, my mother got excited when she found out her new TV came with HDMI. I tried explaining to her that her last one had it as well, but she refused to believe me because she didn't have HD television at the time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,779
Points 105,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:59 PM

A Newegg gift-card is spot on. I do work for people sometimes and have them get one for me instead of giving me cash.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:10 PM

realneil:

A Newegg gift-card is spot on. I do work for people sometimes and have them get one for me instead of giving me cash.

Haha, what a good idea.  Regardless of what you make it's going to what you like.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 10:52 PM

Yeah, I sort of do the shopping for my entire family when it comes to Birthdays and Holidays so my parents sort of give me a budget and help them find what my siblings want and let them know what I want.
Other than that I'm slowly trying to educate them into the tech world, they know a lot of the basics and use email and the internet on a daily basis (they're not dinosaurs or completely tech ignorant) but for example in 8th grade I asked for a PS3 and got an Xbox 360. I'm not gonna complain about that and in the end I was happier with it but at the time I thought the PS3 would have the best use for my family because of Blu-ray and whatnot.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,779
Points 105,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:56 AM

It works for me.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:24 AM

So after reading this article yesterday, I decided I was going to pick up a tablet for my wife for christmas.  She's been kind of asking for one off and on for the past 2 years or so, so I was planning on doing some research today on tablets under $200 and figure out something that will work for her. 

So yesterday, I tell her, I figured out what I was going to get her, and being impatient like she normally is around christmas, she asked if I could give her a hint.  I couldn't come up with anything clever, so I told her I figure out something later.

So about 3 hours later, I head home, sit down on the couch, open up the laptop, and head over to hothardware.  The first article on the home page was this article, and she immediately says,"Are you getting me a Kindle fire!?!"  Of course, I had to play it off like I hadn't thought about it.  Although i'm not convinced she believed me.

Damn hothardware almost ruined christmas!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS