Popular Mobile Game "Great Big War Game" Earns £52 in First Week of Release on Windows RT

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,025
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:55 PM

Hot on the heels of news that Microsoft's Surface tablets haven't been selling too well thanks to "channel problems", we now have a developer speaking freely about its lack of success with selling its established game through the Windows RT Store.

Rubicon's Great Big War Game has been available for Android and iOS for quite some time, and it's proven successful on both platforms, having achieved a 4.5 rating on Google's Play store based on 2,500 ratings. Naturally, then, the developer expected that its efforts to port the game over to Windows RT would pay off. After a report of earning £52 in the first week, however, earning back the £10,000 that it cost to port over would take two years - assuming sales kept up.

The developer originally had a scathing blog post blaming Microsoft for the lack of support, as it refused to "feature" the game despite the relative lack of anything else worthwhile to promote. As someone who peers into the Windows 8 Store on occasion, I can sympathize with the developer here. You'd imagine that if Windows RT were to succeed, promoting proven titles is what would help it happen.

Not long after Rubicon's blog post was published, Microsoft got in contact with the developer and smoothed things over, resulting in the entire thing being purged. Still - there's something to be said here when a developer successful on other platforms finds no success on Microsoft's. It seems to me, as a non-developer, that Microsoft needs to work closer with those who bring their apps to the OS, and likewise help promote the best content - the content people should know about, given the current lack of selection on the platform versus the competition.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

So, is it because there aren't that many Windows RT devices sold, or because nobody with those devices is buying any apps??

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

While I don't have the surface tablet, I do have windows 8, and I have to say the app store isn't exactly great.  Sure it's intuitive, but it's only easy to use for the things microsoft wants you to use.  However oddly enough, the other day I went to search for excel in the app store, and it was unable to find it.  I figured office would have been a huge push in the app store.  I just don't think the app store is quite as good as it should be, therefore making it more difficult for users to find relative software or highly rated apps.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:17 PM

This is going to impede the success of Windows 8 in general and good devices like the Nokia Lumina 820

"This" being the fact microsoft is impeding the growth and success of their own mobile marketplace.

And I'm sure this will do wonders for developers looking to put things on the Windows RT platform, and this is also going to help build the Surface RT's coffin.

Geez Microsoft, step it up!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

Amazing, is a good game!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,000
Points 14,435
Manduh replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:17 PM

I thought the 52 was a typo or was missing some 00s.... OUCH!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 12:56 AM

No lie - I did the same thing when I viewed the source article.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Dec 10 2012 1:28 PM

Ballmer says sales of the RT were "modest".  If I were going to use that word the same way in a sentence, it would be "Sales of the Microsoft Kin have been... modest."

Someone's come up with a plan to fix everything (specifically, their stock price) though: They're starting a rumor that MS doesn't *want* huge RT sales numbers because it might cause hurt feelings with their other hardware partners.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS