YouTube Channels Taking Flight On Virgin America

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,913
Points 1,117,760
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:13 AM
Ever been on a flight with a TV in the headrest? Sadly, too few planes still have these, but those fortunate enough to see one may have seen some fairly compelling content of late. But evidently, more of that is to come. YouTube has reportedly signed a deal with Virgin America that would see an airline offering YouTube channels for the first time ever. Google's video portal has been striving to turn into a more serious outlet for serious content in the past few years, and this would certainly cement that effort. According to Variety, the airline will make programming on five YouTube channels -- Warner Bros.' "H+ The Digital Series," produced by Bryan Singer; WIGS' "Blue," starring Julia Stiles; Geek & Sundry's "Written by a Kid"; "Crash Course"; and Barely Political's "The Key of Awesome" -- available through its inflight entertainment system on December 15th.

All of that material will be free to view for all flights within the U.S. and Mexico, and for YouTube, it'll be a huge win to get its content into the faces of perhaps older and more sophisticated travelers who would have skipped right over those cat videos in the past. Does this mark the early stages of an all-out content assault from YouTube? Hard to say, but it's certainly a notable initiative.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,446
Points 102,230
MembershipAdministrator

I'd rather see a good movie.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

realneil:

I'd rather see a good movie.

I'm with you there.  I think the people next to me would be giving me odd looks as I'm watching action figure therapy or epic rap battles of history.  Although honestly, I've only ever seen screens like these on international flights.  So if you're lucky enough to get on a connecting flight that is headed overseas you'll most likely have these, otherwise we're probably out of luck.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:02 PM

I can't agree with you two more. If you're on a short flight this might be appealing to make 30-45 minutes pass by quicker but considering a majority of flights last a little longer than this it's more desirable to sleep, read or watch a movie. Or at least that's the case for myself.

Not to mention privacy in viewing content is a bit of an issue too since certain kinds of comedy or content could make people uncomfortable from other people judging them by what they're watching.

But I guess you have to give the "nobe" initiative a little bit of credit

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

nice inf thanks you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS