Barnes & Noble Slashes Price for NOOK Simple Touch Ereader By $20

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,907
Points 1,117,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:02 AM

It seems that Barnes & Noble is serious about getting its NOOK under the Christmas tree this year. This morning, it chopped the price of the NOOK Simple Touch from $99 to $79. That has to gall people who have been picking them up in the past few weeks, but it’s good news for the procrastinators.

The NOOK Simple Touch Has A New Price Tag

The NOOK Simple Touch was already Barnes & Noble’s cheapest ereader before the price cut. It’s also the smallest, at only 6.5 inches high by 5 inches wide (and 0.47 inches deep), which makes it much more book-like than the larger 7- and 10- inch NOOK models. It connects to your home Wi-Fi network to download books from Barnes & Noble. Don’t mistake this model for the Simple Touch with GlowLight, though – the $119 GlowLight version has a backlight that lets you read in the dark. You’ll need an external light source to see the text on the $79 Simple Touch. (Kind of makes one wonder if the GlowLight will drop before Christmas, too.) The Simple Touch competes with the $69 Amazon Kindle, but it has a compelling advantage: the NOOK doesn't have ads.

Barnes & Noble cut the price of the Simple Touch even deeper during Black Friday sales, but it’s not surprising that today’s cut doesn’t match the frenzy-generating prices from Thanksgiving. Even so, the new price is bound to turn the heads of many last-minute shoppers.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

Wow, it's really nice to see these devices dropping in prices.  Two years ago I considered buying a nook or kindle for my wife and couldn't find anything under $150, at the time that was way too much for me.  Eventually my dad bought one for her, and she's used it maybe 10 times.  So good thing I didn't buy it eh?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 9 2012 5:04 PM

This is incredibly competitive for the e-reader market and that "No ads" bonus is huge too.

Ads is what turned me away from Kindle's anyhow.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,442
Points 102,210
MembershipAdministrator

OSunday:
Ads is what turned me away from Kindle's anyhow.

I can't imagine what a PITA ads must be on a Kindle. My original, and my new one do not have ads on them.

I read my Kindle every night before I go to sleep. It's far better than my Nook. (the Nook sits on the shelf most of the time)

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 90

nice prices, is a good idea for Christmas

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
JJ111985 replied on Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:09 AM

I prefer the Kindle Fire HD. The interface is just amazing and it's very easy to use. Check out the Amazon page of the Kindle Fire HD(http://bit.ly/S1CzWe) if you want to compare what they bring to the table.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS