Archos GamePad with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Ships to U.S. in Q1 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,699
Points 1,207,880
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:06 PM
Archos on Thursday announced the retail availability of its new GamePad device, or the "first true Android games console," as the company pitches it. The Android-powered GamePad is a new type of tablet that combines physical gaming button controls and Archos' patented mapping tool with a full Android tablet experience built around Jelly Bean (Android 4.1). It features full access to Google Play and Google Mobile Services.

It's also only available in Europe for the time being, where it's selling for 149.99€, or $194.75 in U.S. currency. Speaking of which, Archos says the GamePad is destined for U.S. shores in the first quarter of 2013.

Archos GamePad

"Android device users spend more than 9 hours a month gaming on their devices and yet are not completely satisfied with the touch-screen experience," says Henri Crohas, Founder and CEO of Archos. "We feel this area of gaming is proven and will continue to grow. With the introduction of the GamePad we are uniquely positioned to feed the demand of gamers who want a better gaming experience on a tablet."

There are 14 physical buttons and dual analog thumbsticks on the GamePad. It has a 7-inch screen with five points of capacitive touch, 16 million colors, and a 1024x600 resolution. The GamePad is just 0.3 inches thin and weighs 0.7 pounds, so it's not likely to make your hands or arms tired after extended gaming sessions.

Other hardware consists of a 1.6GHz dual-core CPU, quad-core Mali 400 MP GPU, 8GB of internal storage, microSD card slot, and mini HDMI output.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Double post.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

This would be much cooler as an add-on device rather than a separate device all in itself.  Imagine if you could expand or retract the top and bottom to fit onto your phone, that would be a product worth paying for.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,684
Points 55,795
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 8:22 PM

I think we need a "phone gaming adapter. " Somebody make it so!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Resolution is too low, but it is a decent idea.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 9:47 PM

@Dave

Have you heard of the PhoneJoy?

It's on kickstarter right now and is supposed to be adaptable for a large range of portable devices like phones and small tablets. It works through blutooth and would pretty much make any smart mobile device the same thing as the Archos GamePad

Here's the link for anyone who wants to check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phonejoy/phonejoy-play-turn-your-phone-into-a-console

@Dorkstar

Couldn't agree with you more, the fact that controller controls are integrated means using it as a normal tablet becomes awkward and unattractive. An add on for game controls is much better. I also don't get why they didn't go with at least a 720p resolution, visuals are a huge aspect of gaming so you might as well be able to view them in some form of high definition

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875
imAcpufan replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:39 PM

@OSunday

Cool, I just saw the PhoneJoy the other day and was thinking of backing it.

I'm currently waiting for this other controller, backed it in October and looking forward to playing around with it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller

It's great to see all these alternatives popping up, since I Iike the idea of an add-on controller versus built in.  It's too bad the Archos pad doesn't detach from the side controller parts, that would be pretty nifty.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:14 AM

OSunday:

@Dorkstar

Couldn't agree with you more, the fact that controller controls are integrated means using it as a normal tablet becomes awkward and unattractive. An add on for game controls is much better. I also don't get why they didn't go with at least a 720p resolution, visuals are a huge aspect of gaming so you might as well be able to view them in some form of high definition

At this price point, and with that horrible resolution, it just seems like one of those $2 pocket games your grandmother puts in your stocking every year. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:16 PM

Hahaha that strikes to close to home!
My Grandma would by my brother and sisters us those all the time because she knew we liked video games and thought those were what we were talking abotu!

The little black and white race car or baseball games... I don't even know what type of display the kind it uses are called but it's usually got like 5 or so pictures that darken as the game plays

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

My wife's grandmother gets all the girls barbies (regardless of age),all the boys sicks and one of those crappy handheld games every year.  It's horribly perdictable.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS