Solidoodle Debuts Third-Generation Solidoodle 3D Printer with Double-Sized Build Area

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,878
Points 1,173,005
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:09 PM
We’ve made no secret of the fact that we’re enamored of 3D printing--all the more after visiting Maker Faire 2012 a couple of months ago--so a new 3D printer joining the market is something that piques our interest. Solidoodle, a company that has grown to 60 employees after a year in the 3D printer-making business, announced its third-generation Solidoodle 3D Printer, and the price tag is a comparatively low $799.

For as inexpensive as the new Solidoodle 3 is, the company’s second-gen printer (which is still available) actually costs just $499, which is an astounding price for a 3D printer. However, this latest iteration offers twice the cubic volume with printable dimensions of 8 x 8 x 8 inches and the ability to print with a resolution as fine as .1mm.

Solidoodle 3D Printer

The actual printer is surprisingly small, weighing in at 18lbs and measuring 13.5 x 14 x 14 inches. It’s compatible with PCs, Macs, and Linux computers and includes a power supply, USB cable, and enough starter filament for a single small print.

Solidoodle 3D Printer

Solidoodle is taking preorders now and plans to begin shipping units next month.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Man.  I can't wait until these things are in every household.  While the idea of building toys and gadgets and such is entertaining.  I'd just like to have one to make replacement parts for all the things that seem to break around the house.  You know a lawn mower wheel is $25?  Crazy.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:53 AM

Haha this is going to lead to some serious awesomeness sooner than later. As prices continue to drop and the technology develops 3D printers could easily become common place to solve a ton of problems and cater to a wide variety of needs.

Imagine a world where companies for near everything have the option to sell you just a CAD file for a product so you can print them out, or where you can repair and fix things when they break from CAD files.

One also has to consider things like this for piracy and the torrenters dream of "Downloading a car" too, or something similar to the project that was shut down for a printable weapon.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:06 PM

I have never heard of these, but after a little (hours) googling, i have one thing to say.

Oh my LANTA, that is amazing!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

Yeah Jaybk26, check out the videos on youtube.  I remember seeing one where they made a skateboard, which was impressive, then there was another where they made an entire motorcycle (don't think it actually drove anywhere).  

I was just thinking about all the plastics that usually go on firearms, that stuff in expensive.  If you want a pistol grip for an AR15, you're looking at $70+.  With one of these, you could just craft your own plastic pieces to pretty much anything.  Surely they'll have some type of camera or measuring device to recreate objects.  Heck, the Xbox kinect would probably work perfectly.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS