Qualcomm Investing $120M In Sharp, Collaborating on Next Gen Displays

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,130
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:21 AM
Japanese TV maker Sharp is in desperate need of a cash infusion, and it may be getting one from Qualcomm, which is reportedly going to invest as much as $120 million into the company. That would make Qualcomm Sharp's largest share holder, and could save the company from collapse.

According to Reuters, Qualcomm will work with Sharp through its Pixtronix subsidiary to design next generation display technologies. The two sides might also collaborate on chipset fabrication.

"With this agreement Sharp will accelerate its strategy for growth in small-to-medium-sized LCDs," Sharp said.

Sharp

Qualcomm will provide some immediate help by injecting nearly $60 million into Sharp by the end of the year. It's not yet been decided when Qualcomm will make a subsequent investment or for how much, though it will be conditional on Sharp returning to profitability.

Sharp fell on some hard times lately and had recently doubled its full-year net loss forecast to $5.6 billion. At the time, Sharp blamed the situation on a "worse than expected drop" in LCD TV sales in Japan and China, noting "drastic price drops of products and devices." The company wasn't confident that it had the "vitality" to survive the current downturn. This investment from Qualcomm helps, and it's also rumored that Apple may have tossed some cash at the company, though it's never been confirmed.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 11:32 AM

I actually read about this last night.  Apparently there is more companies than just Qualcomm that are diving in to save Sharp.  Intel and Dell both are looking into investing a few billion in to Sharp.  With some backing by those companies, Sharp just might get pushed up into the spotlight here soon.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Sharp is an okay company.

I just hope that they don't take all this money, and then end up going under a few years down the road anyway.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:48 AM

What exactly constitutes the "next-gen" displays that they plan on pushing sharp to produce with some backing?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Points 1,120
KOwen replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:20 AM

I believe the "next-gen" they are describing refers to the Ultra HD resolution of 3840x2160 aka 4K resolution. Supposedly such TV's are to be the main theme for CES 2013. Personally I'm waiting for 8K resolution aka 7680x4320.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

KOwen:

I believe the "next-gen" they are describing refers to the Ultra HD resolution of 3840x2160 aka 4K resolution. Supposedly such TV's are to be the main theme for CES 2013. Personally I'm waiting for 8K resolution aka 7680x4320.

At 8k resolution I can truly believe someone putting a broom through their television while attempting to kill a bug that's on tv.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS