Intel's Tiny NUC "Next Unit of Computing" PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,167,440
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 3 2012 11:07 AM

Intel's Tiny NUC The "Intel Next Unit of Computing" (NUC), as it's appropriately called, is an ultra-compact desktop system that's small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, while packing a performance punch that belies its diminutive stature. Power users looking to game on their high-resolution 30-inch monitors need not apply, but there are plenty of markets for a system like this, not the least of which is the mainstream buyer. Intel says its NUC is also ideal for digital signage, kiosks, home theater setups, and anywhere else where space is at a premium...

Intel's Tiny NUC "Next Unit of Computing" PC

• | Post Points: 140
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:34 PM

Couple this with those flexible displays and you have yourself a good desktop for those without a lot of space.  I like that they have an hdmi input, assuming the price gets a little lower with time, this would be nice to mount to a wall behind the TV and use as a media center.  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:45 PM

Great review Paul.

I like that it has a VESA mount so it can be attached to the back side of a monitor.

The performance results are damn good for a PC without a discreet GPU on board.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 2,180

Thanks, and I agree about the performance. If Intel can get the Wi-Fi issue ironed out -- and they're working on that right now, via a BIOS update -- this would be a great alternative to the typical tower desktop. Even more so if SSD prices continue to drop.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,085
Points 10,995
CDeeter replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:02 PM

Did Intel work with Zotac on this? Seems really similar, but with an i3 instead of Atom or Brazos onboard.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:34 PM

The mounting options through VESA and potential for Media Center applications are pretty sweet too!

I'd love to see one of these things put into a car or something similar, it's almost too perfect for that

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 155

Definitely has it's place in the market. Neat little device.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

kylevasher:

While I agree, but at $500 it can rest peacefully on a store shelf.  This thing needs to get down below $200 before I even consider buying one.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:17 AM

Aha woahh didn't see that $500 price tag, that definitely drops down the appeal since for the same price you can get some hardware with a little more kick too it, just minus the portability.

I don't know why super small form factors are being pushed so much, it's not like there's widespread complaints from people about not having space for desktops or not liking the size of small-mid towers?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645

OSunday:

Aha woahh didn't see that $500 price tag, that definitely drops down the appeal since for the same price you can get some hardware with a little more kick too it, just minus the portability.

I don't know why super small form factors are being pushed so much, it's not like there's widespread complaints from people about not having space for desktops or not liking the size of small-mid towers?

That's because we enjoy living in excess in America.  Trying fitting a full size case in a 300 square foot apartment with 3 people living in it.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
Mattos replied on Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:57 PM

I believe the Sapphire Edge Mini PC is slightly cheaper than this. I think this is a bit smaller and you have to like how this performs.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:53 PM

I don't mean to revive an old thread but I found a giveaway for one of these baby's!

It's coming from motherboards.org along side a little video review and they're giving one away by selecting a commenter from the YouTube video.
For anyone who wants to check it out, here it is!

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWCUwQb1eE&list=UUcx2OUQ9OGdL4FTexi0h35Q&index=2

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Sorry no sale.. The future is Android. $300 + HDD + Windows tax? low power.. just get a real desktop if really needed. PC, content creation, high end gaming for now. but these will move more to the cloud or to a centralised home server.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 1:49 PM

TruSignage:

Sorry no sale.. The future is Android. $300 + HDD + Windows tax? low power.. just get a real desktop if really needed. PC, content creation, high end gaming for now. but these will move more to the cloud or to a centralised home server.

Yeah, but even though we don't necessarily want it, we all know the world is moving to cloud based applications.  Before you know it, you'll be playing Farcry 3 on ultra-high settings off a $25 rasberry pi.  No more hardware advantages!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Fri, Dec 14 2012 5:47 PM

I think by don't want it he just meant what you're getting for the price, I don't think anyone would argue that smaller form factors is a good thing technologically speaking... and ultra-high settings off a $25 Raspberry Pi isn't happening any time in the near future either unfortunately :/

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
provo44 replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:10 AM

Early days?

http://www.benjaminsohn.de/project/intel-nuc-concept-design/

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 16 2012 1:03 PM

Nice find! It's interesting to see how the concept and design have changed

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
provo44 replied on Mon, Dec 17 2012 8:14 AM

Intel NUC Concept Design

A third model (DCCP487DYE) will hit the market during the first quarter of 2013.

http://technology-corner.com/intel-next-unit-of-computing-the-mini-pc-on-sale.html

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
wjred66 replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:03 PM

Not sure what the "wireless issue" is referred to but we have two units and two separate wireless cards and they both would end up dragging to below .9 Mbs on internet test speeds and sometimes failing completely. Other times fair performance but still no answer from Intel on it.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Tue, Apr 9 2013 7:41 PM

wjred66:

Not sure what the "wireless issue" is referred to but we have two units and two separate wireless cards and they both would end up dragging to below .9 Mbs on internet test speeds and sometimes failing completely. Other times fair performance but still no answer from Intel on it.

Yeah that could be an issue. I assume it has wireless built in since it came with a wireless antenne. Do you see differences between using them?

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,904
Points 24,545
digitaldd replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 1:47 PM

Dorkstar:

kylevasher:

While I agree, but at $500 it can rest peacefully on a store shelf.  This thing needs to get down below $200 before I even consider buying one.

I agree 100%, I think $100 Android HDMI stick media center systems will be coming soon enough.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Sounds amazing, I'd be curious to know how it handles heat distribution when it's taxed. I'd love a pocket desktop!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

As a gamer this wouldn't suit me, but it'd be nice to buy just to run as a prebuilt slave haha

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
yosefa replied on Fri, Jun 28 2013 12:31 AM

I guess it's nice that Intel is expanding into this area, but isn't the Mac Mini essentially the same thing?

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS