Cyber Monday 2012 Declared Heaviest Online Spending Day in U.S. History

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,421
Points 1,193,125
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 1 2012 9:05 AM
Scary things happen on Black Friday, like the angry mosh pit that broke out at Walmart over low priced cell phones. In the words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" We hear you Sweet Brown, which is why we're big fans of Cyber Monday, the busiest online shopping day of the year. According to data by comScore, American deal seekers spent $1.46 billion on Cyber Monday this year, which qualifies as the heaviest U.S. online spending day in the history of mankind.

"Despite some news reports suggesting that Cyber Monday might be declining in importance, the day has once again set an online spending record at nearly $1.5 billion," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni. "However, it is also clear that the holiday promotional period has begun even earlier this year, with strong online sales occurring on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday. Now, we shall see the extent to which continuing and attractive retailer promotions are able to boost sales for the remainder of the week."

Online Shopping
It would probably help if he turned his laptop on. Image Source: Flickr (Elvert Barnes)

Indeed, retailers are pushing out discounts earlier than ever. From November 1-26, online shoppers spent nearly $16.4 billion, a 16 percent increase over last year. Cyber Monday's spending increased 17 percent versus a year ago, while Black Friday accounted for $1.04 billion in online sales, up 28 percent year-on-year.

Not all of these sales took place at home. In fact, it was a virtual tie between shopping at home (including Universities) and while at work at 47.2 percent and 47.1 percent, respectively. Another 5.7 percent shopped online from International locations.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:37 AM

I didn't shop Cyber Monday this year because I had too many problems last year. First with laggy or crashing sites then with a couple of stores not having my purchases get to me in time for Christmas. I actually find most of the online sales here (Canada) are not as good as the US anyway so it wasn't worth my time, or money when you factor in shipping costs.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 450
Points 5,345

Yeah, I haven't had problems shopping but I wasn't terribly excited about this year's either. I looked around a bit and the deals I found weren't too different than what pop ups on a regular basis, so I didn't really feel a need to latch onto a sale.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,940
OSunday replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 6:01 PM

The Holiday Promotional Period DEFINITELY began earlier, I'd seen Black Friday flyers online across multiple sites and in paper up to a month in advance before actual Black Friday.

I think the tie of in store vs. virtual shopping illustrates the trend and rising popularity of online shopping, and (crosses fingers) hopefully the transition to online shopping across the board in ways similar to how Newegg and Amazon run things with warehouses that have larger stocks, and a fuller variety of products that can ship almost anywhere at any time... along with being more price efficient by eliminating the extra expenses of in store shopping

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:31 PM

Isn't every year the biggest year?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS