Netflix has Competition: Redbox Instant by Verizon Could Launch Yet This Year

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,700
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 1 2012 2:22 AM
Back in February, we heard tell that Verizon was teaming up with Coinstar (maker of those Redbox DVD rental kiosks you see everywhere) to develop a streaming and physical media service not unlike Netflix. Now, it appears that the service--dubbed “Redbox Instant by Verizon”--is in the offing.

GigaOM uncovered some key details of the new service, including the fact that it’s still in private beta. After stumbling across Redbox Instant by Verizon’s beta Help page (the link to which has subsequently been removed from public view), GigaOM offered up some interesting details.

Redbox Instant for Verizon

For starters, the service will start at just $6 per month, which undercuts Netflix’s $7.99 streaming-only plan. For $8, actually, users can get streaming plus credits toward physical Redbox DVD rentals. VOD will be available for offline viewing starting at $0.99. Expect Redbox Instant to be available via the Web and on a slew of devices including iOS and Android devices, Xbox 360, and even some of Samsung’s TVs and Blu-ray players.

It also appears that Redbox Instant by Verizon could be available as early as December 17th, although the report seems to be inferring quite a bit, based on the evidence.

Bear in mind that these sorts of features and pricing structures can be changed significantly between the beta phase and its public debut (such as perhaps the clunky name), so take the above with a grain of salt. Still, it should be interesting to see how another streaming service--and one with a physical presence in and around brick-and-mortar stores--plays out against the likes of Netflix and Hulu.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635
Dorkstar replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:44 PM

I'm curious to see how well Redbox does with this.  Last I heard they told Verizon they weren't getting into the streaming business, guess things change.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270

They can't do any worse than Netflix, I think. Their streaming service's selection is...depressing. So far it's been ok for me (relatively new member) as I've been using it to watch tv shows I missed during grad school, but once I catch up there aren't that many worthwhile movies that I wouldn't rather own on blu-ray.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:06 PM

I think this is going to do very well. I already have been a regular redbox user for a couple of years now and never really got into Netflix I don't have the patience to deal mailing DVDs back and forth I would rather just drive two blocks to get a movie from redbox and netflix's online streaming catalog is VERY poor I went through anything worth watching and even things not worth watching in 2 weeks and the catalog doesn't changed for months.

And online movie streaming service that is hopefully at least as good as netflix's with lower prices and the ability to go to the corner for a physical movie rather than wait for it in the mail sounds like the far superior choice. Most of us don't plan movie viewings in advance with a group of people most of us get together with friends and decide to watch a movie.... That night.... Night two days later

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:09 PM

Not two days later.

Typing without sleep on a mobile device is not a smart idea

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270

You can edit your post instead of making a new one.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

sackyhack:

They can't do any worse than Netflix, I think. Their streaming service's selection is...depressing. So far it's been ok for me (relatively new member) as I've been using it to watch tv shows I missed during grad school, but once I catch up there aren't that many worthwhile movies that I wouldn't rather own on blu-ray.

You really have to explore netflix to ilke it.  Get out of your comfort zone a bit and watch some of the award winning independent films they have on there.  There's some amazing independent films out there that I never heard of until I got netflix. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:49 PM

Haha the clunky name definitely needs a remake.

I just think it's ironic that that service will almost compete with Redbox. I guess the advantage of it's physical presence is the ability to use the service without an internet connection or web capable device, but for the majority of people an instant service will probably make their physical sales decline.

One way they could definitely compete with Netflix and Hulu is with a larger catalog, since I know something that a lot of Hulu/Netflix users complain about.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:16 PM

Sacyhack, HH can also choose to fix their mobile site version, but they don't. I prefer not to use an edit button.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS