Report: Windows 8 Off to a Slower Start than Windows 7

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,980
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:22 PM
With so many conflicting reports on the state of Windows 8, it's difficult to get a grip on exactly where it stands in the grand scheme of things at this early stage. For example, Microsoft just the other day proudly proclaimed that it's sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses during its first month of availability. Not too shabby, but now StatCounter is saying that Windows 8 is off to a slower start than Windows 7 when examining Internet usage share.

According to StatCounter, Windows 8 took 1.77 percent Internet usage in the U.S. one month after launch, compared to 5.21 percent for Windows 7 when it first debuted.

Windows 7 Desktop

"Microsoft has reported license sales of 40 million for Windows 8, however this has not yet translated into significant usage figures. This may be due to sales to manufacturers rather than to end users so Windows 8 may well get a boost over the December holiday buying season," commented Aodhan Cullen, CEO, StatCounter.

In yet another report, The NPD Group said earlier this week that the Windows 8 launch has done little to boost PC sales. In fact, Windows sales have actually fallen 21 percent year-over-year since the new OS debuted on October 26.

What does it all mean? Not a whole lot of anything, at this point. Early metrics are interesting, but not enough time has elapsed to truly gauge the impact of Windows 8. It's especially difficult at this point because we're caught in a transition period where more and more users are jumping on the tablet bandwagon, where iOS (iPad) and Android (Nexus 7, Kindle Fire) are the top options.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:53 PM

That's what I was saying: first month license sales don't mean anything - they very well could have included every OEM machine that's going to be released for the next four months. We can't know.

I think it's safe to say that public acceptance of Win8 has been lukewarm at best. They'll probably enjoy a nice jump in the actual percentage uses after Xmas day, but it's not the breakthrough product that MS was hoping it would be. It will still be profitable, because most companies won't perceive that there are other options, and MS will still gladly sell them Win7 licenses until Win9 comes out.

It's weird. I'm torn between congratulating MS on finally breaking loose of the bureaucracy long enough to release something radically different... and between chastising them for releasing something that tries so hard to lead users to a walled garden just like Apple's ecosystem. Both are designed to win by eliminating competition - not by excelling.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

Its funny people cry for change and when they get they then cry because it changed. They want change but hate change....

I think what MS did with the ecosystem is massive and it works very well. I am loving windows 8 wont be going back to windows 7. I am also loving the surface, the first big patch really improved performance on it and there are more and more apps out each week.

All in all I feel they did rather well with it all.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,635

Doesn't this basically happen with every release?  I think 7 was the exception, due to the problems that went along with vista.  8 is just one of those things that will be forced upon us until we take the time to actually try it.  I think once most people who are resisting the change now will find themselves feeling quite different after spending some time.  Until then windows 8 is going to be selling licenses like crazy, and the numbers will slowly creep above everything.  I just hope they get some better pricing, paying $100-$200 for an operating system really hurts a gamer on a budget.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS