Outlook.com Enjoys Success, Claims Over 25 Million Active Users

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,705
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Nov 27 2012 4:22 PM

Microsoft launched Outlook.com in July. In just four short months, the company has enjoyed tremendous success with the site. In addition to being named to Time Magazine's 50 Best Websites of 2012, the site has also reached over 25 million users.

Microsoft discovered about a third of those 25 million users are active Gmail users who are trying Outlook.com for the first time. Microsoft was intrigued by this figure, so the company hired a research firm to recruit hundreds of Gmail users to use Outlook.com. Interestingly enough, Microsoft claims 4 out of 5 of these Gmail users said they would switch to Outlook.com after spending five days with the site. This study found users appreciated Outlook.com's design, spam blocking capabilities, and the ease of sharing photos and Office documents.

Microsoft is clearly going after the Gmail crowd with Outlook.com. To that end, Microsoft plans to offer a few new features over the next few weeks including one-click archive, additional keyboard shortcuts, greater customization features, and an Outlook app for Android. The Outlook app for Android will provide easy access to Outlook.com with support for push notifications, calendar and contact syncing, support for multiple Outlook.com accounts and more.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 7:57 PM

Seriously?? My college forced me to use outlook.com, and all I remember is it being incredibly slow and did not play nice with Firefox at all. This was like 3 years ago though, so maybe I'll give it another shot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:18 PM

I've used outlook and outlook express on a computer for years but that was along time ago now. After reading this article I went and signed up for a new email through outlook and once I logged in using mobile safari it looks identical to hotmail.com and even has the headline of hotmail except when I email someone it shows up as a @outlook email. Am I missing something here? I might as well be using my hotmail account.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:29 PM

You're thinking of Microsoft Exchange Server or something similar, which, from my experience, match what you're saying here perfectly. Outlook.com as a service didn't exist prior to July 2012.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:32 PM

That's not supposed to happen. Have you used your Hotmail account on the same device? I'm wondering if some weird caching is going on. I signed up for a brand-new Outlook.com account about two months ago and I didn't have a problem; it looked like it does in the screenshot in the news post.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 10:40 PM

Huh, I think you're right. Even more reason for me to give it a try. Thanks!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:54 PM

This is a wonderful advertisement for Hotmail, er, I mean Outlook.com. Of course, th actual service is garbage, but nice fluff work, anyhow.

Outlook.com *IS* Hotmail.com - rebranding is a common way to make foolish people think you've done something new. Examples: Comcast -> Xfinity, Qwest -> Century Link. Apparently, rebranding is less expensive than actually providing the advertised service.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 756
Points 7,645
Dorkstar replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 5:51 PM

I completely disagree. Even if it is "fluff", that fluff made it more intuitive.  I periodically checked my hotmail, and after years of not using it, I had over 2,000 unread (spam) mail.  Took me about 30 minutes to clean it up using the features outlook.com has.  I even find myself right clicking on my gmail account from time to time and thinking,"Why hasn't google done this yet?".  The ability to right click on an item and select what you want to do with that item or with the sender is great for keeping junk where it needs to go, or cleaning out a full mailbox.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS