Hacker Group Anonymous Takes Down NISD Over Student Tracking

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,171,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 24 2012 3:25 PM
The Northside Independent School District (NISD) in San Antonio sparked a controversy earlier this year when it rolled out its "Student Locator Project," an initiative that requires students to wear ID badges with embedded radio frequency identification (RFID) chips. NISD's website is down today, and a member of the hacking organization known as Anonymous reached out HotHardware to take credit for the outage.

NISD said it wanted to expand the Student Locator Project to 112 Texas schools and around 100,000 students to curb truancy, apparently a major problem at the school district in question. It was reported that by improving attendance, NISD could receive as much as $20 million in additional state funding, which would more than offset the cost of implementing the program (pegged at over $525,000 for the pilot program and a little over $136,000 per year to maintain).

Texas RFID

As you can imagine, the program was met with resistance by both students and parents who weren't keen on the idea of children being used as test subjects for technology. The issue appears to have drawn the attention of Anonymous.

"These 'student locator' programs are ultimately aimed at getting students used to living in a total surveillance state where there will be no privacy, and wherever you go and whatever you text or email will be watched by the government," Twitter user and Anonymous member @tr1xxyAnon told HotHardware.

NISD's website has been down for at least a couple of hours today.

NISD is taking its tracking program very serious and was even set to expel a Texas student who refused to wear her RFID tag based on religious reasons. According to BBC News, a Texas court granted a restraining order filed by a civil rights group pending a hearing on the use of the tags, which is scheduled for next week.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,200
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 5:37 PM

Ha-Ha! Love it.

They deserve to be whacked,..................

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Tue, Nov 27 2012 12:43 AM

Hmm. I posted a comment here a few days ago. Looks like it didnt go through...

Anyway, basically I had a discussion with my entire class over this a few weeks back. We talked about the idea of the school tracking students movements VIA GPS, smart phone trackers, all sorts of things. Being myself, I stood up and said that the school does not have the right to track my every movement at any given time, merely to protect its windows being spray painted by graffiti.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS