Blizzard Sued in Class Action Over Authenticator Sales

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,235
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:34 AM
Blizzard has been hit with a lawsuit over its $6.50 Battle.net Authenticator keychains that it sells online. According to the lawsuit, Blizzard makes millions of dollars by "deceptively and unfairly" charging customers for an after-sale security product, essentially shifting responsibility from the publisher to the consumer to protect their accounts from hackers. Even then, it doesn't always work, the lawsuit claims.

"Most recently, on or about May 19, 2012, reports proliferated that class members' Battle.net accounts had suffered a security breach ('hack') at the hands of unknown parties ('hackers'), and on or about August 4, 2012, hackers massively breached Battle.net's security and acquired the private information of all of defendants' customers in the United States, as well as the remainder of North America, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia," the lawsuit states, according to Courthouse News Service.

World of Warcraft Authenticator

The class action lawsuit was filed by Benjamin Bell and targets Irvine-based Blizzard Entertainment and its corporate parent, Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard. Bell alleges that the Authenticators have brought in $26 million.

"Defendants negligently, deliberately, and/or recklessly fail to ensure that adequate, reasonable procedures safeguard the private information stored on this website," the 33-page complaint alleges. "As a result of these acts, the private information of plaintiffs and class members has been compromised and/or stolen since at least 2007."

Battle.net mobile authenticator

Blizzard is aware of the lawsuit, telling IGN that it's "without merit and filled with patently false information." According to Blizzard, the Battle.net Authenticator tool is completely optional and designed to offer players further protection "in the event that their login credentials are compromised out of Blizzard's network infrastructure." Furthermore, not only is it available as a physical device, but also as a free app for iOS or Android devices, Blizzard states.

The class action lawsuit is seeking unspecified damages and an injunction against after-sale security products and from requiring customers to sign up for Battle.net accounts.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 5,700
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:22 PM

Why of course. This thing has only been sold forever...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 2:41 PM

SecureID! Because, it's not like RSA has ever been hacked.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:03 PM

What a load of crap. The customers have a choice: (1) Go without the Authenticator; (2) Use a smartphone Authenticator app (free); (3) for a while at least, use SMS Authenticator (I think that's over now); (4) Buy the Authenticator keyfob doe essentially the cost of postage.

I hope the judge in this case charges the plaintiff's lawyers for frivolous prosecution of the case.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Points 735

Sign me up. Their lack of security has cost me 6.50, although I could sworn I paid more for mine.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60

Wow! That was interesting. tell me more about the developments of this lawsuit.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

ive had mine for years and i feel safer with it

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Blizzard is one of those companies that pumps out really good games . . . When it feels like it.

But they do have some pretty major problems when it comes to things other than their actual games.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 255
Derailed replied on Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:58 PM

Yikes! My guess is this is a older technology anyway but there is some extra sense of security.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS