Sharp Warns That The Company Might Collapse

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 5 2012 12:29 PM
There was a time when names like Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony were the cream of the crop when it came to consumer electronics, but things have not been going well for any of those companies.

Sharp announced that it is unlikely to survive on its own after posting an expected net year loss of $5.6 billion, which is about double what it predicted for the time period. This is despite drastic measures to return to profitability that included a $1.1 billion restructuring this summer with bank loans, deep job cuts, and mortgaging its factories and other facilities. The Japan-based company is hoping that by leveraging its portfolio of technologies and persuading other companies such as Hon Hai to become larger shareholders.

"We have lots of great technology and we want to tap that asset to revive and make money”, Sharp CEO Takashi Okuda told Reuters. “But I can't say we are now a company with that vitality."

Sharp president Takashi Okuda
Sharp president Takashi Okuda (Image credit: Reuters)

A report also notes that Sony has slashed sales expectations for most of its products, including its handheld gaming devices, TVs, and digital cameras, although it expects PlayStation sales to hold firm. The company also expects to see a modest operating profit this spring. For its part, Panasonic saw about a 20% drop in its share price last week, which impacts its market value by around $3 billion.

The future of these companies is unclear, but what is apparent that barring some sudden fortunes, their time on top has passed.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:06 PM

Isn't that a list of the companies that was trying to push 3D tech in the household? What a coincidence!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 120

3D is the future, whether you like it or not. Specifically glasses free 3D however.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

Poor Sharp, i hope they dont fall.... we need more brands to bring the prices down.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator

I have bought many of their products in the past. I hope they survive too.

3D is not in ~my~ future though.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS