Ballmer Expects Windows Phone 8 Devices to Sell Like Hotcakes, Microsoft Planning Marketing and Ad Blitz

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,836
Points 1,169,875
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:51 AM
You would expect the head of Microsoft to ooze confidence when it comes to the company's Windows Phone platform, and you'd be right. Make no mistake, Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer wholeheartedly believes Windows Phone 8 will finally challenge Android and iOS in the mobile space, and he sees it happening at a faster rate than most might expect.

"We are still relatively small... I expect the volumes on Windows Phone to really ramp quickly," Ballmer said in Tel Aviv during Microsoft's first Windows 8 launch event outside of the U.S., according to Reuters.

Ballmer expressed confidence in the relationship Microsoft has with Nokia, HTC, Samsung, and others, adding that there's an "opportunity to create really a strong third participant in the smartphone market." Does Windows Phone 8 have the legs to run with the big boys?

Windows Phone 8

As of right now, the smartphone market is mostly a two participant race. Google's Android platform dominates the landscape with a 75 percent share of the smartphone market, according to data by International Data Corporation (IDC), while Apple is holding onto a 14.9 percent share. In other words, 9 out of 10 smartphones are rocking either Android or iOS.

When you're up against those kind of numbers, having a viable alternative is only part of the equation. The other part comes down to advertising, and Microsoft is planning to heavily market its Windows 8 products, including Windows Phone 8 and Surface.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:51 PM

Palmer has been smoking that funny green stuff again!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845

Well, he's hardly going to admit that Microsoft's only hope in the smartphone arena is the dissolution of RIM, is he? After all, he's managed to drive the stock price of MSFT down 50% since he took over; why not go for the other 50%?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820

Didn't the stock get split a number of years ago and that's why the price has dropped?

All in all tho the phones are rather good. Its nice and refreshing with the live tiles.

The real kind of the hill is Android with 75% of the market share followed by apple with 14% from the latest news, MS is only at 2%.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:55 AM

Oh no do not get me wrong here. When Sarah jumped over with me to T-Mous after her Verizon contract died we initially got her a windows phone. The phone was awesome especially performance wise (complicated as it is really largely due to the way the processor etc in it is handled by the OS) it is noticeably faster then iOS (my brother and his family use, or Android which only I used at the time (but now Me, Sarah, Amber, and my Mom use), but it did not work with wifi calling at all which is a necessity.

We had it for a weekend and I messed around with it a good bit. That was last version of Windows phone as well so I would imagine that at least from what I've heard the current version is better and the are using higher end ram as well as more cores on the CPU with and upgraded GPU bed in the PCB as well. I just do not think it has the recognition and I think M$ should have been first or at least second and not 4th behind RIM.

If M$ would have hit hard in tandem with Apple or at the least shortly thereafter it would be a different world in wireless right now. As it stands they have to fight for every brick the get and there main advantage now is things like there pre-existing office users they can flip to cloud packages and then flip to the Windows phone platform. I bet that conversion at best is 1/4 if not 1/10. When you have 2/3 like Android does R/D can be so much more fluid because it is being fed with cash constantly from external rather than internal coffers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:55 AM

Everybody go vote (I voted over two weeks ago)!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS