Google Launches Crisis Map as Hurricane Sandy Slams East Coast

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:18 AM
Hurricane Sandy has forced hundreds of thousands of people living along the Eastern Seaboard out of their homes, stranding others who ignored the evacuation orders. According to reports, some 60 million people live in the path of the 900-mile storm, which has been pushing 85 MPH winds and waters up to 11 feet tall.

"This is the most catastrophic event that we have faced and been able to plan for in any of our lifetimes," Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy said, according to CNN.

Crisis Map

Hurricane Sandy is expected to wreak all kinds of havoc throughout New England and as far as the Appalachians. To help people prepare for and track the storm, Google's Crisis Response team (which was setup during Hurricane Katrina) has launched a Crisis Map (embedded below) where you can track the storm's progress and receive updated emergency information.

On the map you'll find location tracking, public alerts, radar and cloud imagery, evacuation information, shelters, and storm footage.

To all our East Coast readers and anyone in the path of this storm, stock up on supplies and stay safe out there.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 988
Points 14,240
Manduh replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 2:29 PM

Stay safe everyone!

PCAudioLabs Rok Box MC 7xs - Intel Core i7-2600K - Cooling: PCAL Quiet Operation - Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard - 16GB DDR3-1333 - AMD Radeon HD 5450 - Power Supply: 600 Watts - SRT Drive: Intel 311 SSD (20GB) - Primary Drive: 500GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache - Audio Drive: 1TB, 7200RPM, 32MB cache - Sample Drive: 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB cache - OS: Windows 7 Professional x64

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 4:41 PM

Stay Safe & God Bless.. This one is scaring me, usually I take these warnings with a grain of salt but the long wait for this to hit land and its gradual progression has me worried a lot. I'm not in an evac zone but the winds keep kicking up and the worst isn't here yet. and with its slow speed I'm thinking once it passes the winds and rain will stick around for a few days.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Tue, Oct 30 2012 1:20 PM

What she said. And, good luck. I've been through tons of hurricanes, growing up in the south. Hurricane Rita blew away half my town and put a tree through every roof on the block (except mine, as I had the potential trees removed earlier that year).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS