AMD A10 and A8 Trinity APU: Virgo CPU Performance

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,694
Points 1,156,740
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Oct 2 2012 12:01 AM
Late last week, we posted a glimpse of what AMD had in store with their latest A-Series APUs for desktop systems. In that article, we were able to officially unveil the Virgo platform and discuss speeds and feeds, GPU performance, and power consumption characteristics. However, we weren’t able to disclose any CPU performance numbers, overclocking data, or pricing. We know some of you aren’t too fond of cliffhangers that leave out important data like that, but thankfully we can give you all the full scoop here today.

In this piece, we’ll fill in the blanks regarding AMD’s latest desktop APUs and cover the rest of the performance characteristics many of you have been eagerly anticipating, from standard X86 performance to media encoding and overclocking.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,814
Points 45,635
rapid1 replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 9:04 AM

I never thought I would say this but I am going to and I hate it. I am re-building a PC for a lady who is an private Architect and I will be replacing her PHENOM II X4 965, MB, PSU, and Nvidia GPU with a ASRock X79 Extreme3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 MB a ntel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz a SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS and a XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition and 8 more GB's of DDR3 added to the 8 she already has. I have no doubt she will be amazed by the system that comes out of it compared.

It sucks though AMD needs to get back on there A game. If it was a gaming computer I might consider a Bulldozer when there released but right now for a top end PC or at least up until now (looking forward to seeing what Bulldozer actually does) or relatively soon for a top end PC there not in consideration etc for a general user no matter whether there an architect or not. General user ok and do not forget I have a Phenom II x4 065 system I built personally sitting right next to me, but the one I am on is an Intel core i7 one.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I would stick with nvidia for Autodesk products.

Now you're just mashing it!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,083
Points 10,970
CDeeter replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 5:00 PM

So if Trinity is close to an i3, then a Piledriver 4 module should approach i5 territory?

How sad, this article only got 4 posts. Must not be much love for AMD out there anymoreCrying

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator

Drake_McNasty:

I would stick with nvidia for Autodesk products.

NVIDIA makes better cards for professional use. AMD doesn't cut it. There are driver issues with Cad-Cam programs.

And why would you (rapid1) buy a gamers video card for someone who is using Autodesk?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RZmogus replied on Sun, Oct 7 2012 10:36 AM

And how your post sticks with a review of entry level APU?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
jovanwi replied on Sat, Nov 17 2012 6:59 PM

I've personally have been wanting to try out the new apu's. They sound as though they have great performance for budget systems. I can't wait to see what they're about.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS