Awesome Popinator Popcorn Cannon Fires Rounds of Snacks at Your Mouth

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,080
Points 1,182,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:43 AM
Popinator ThumbnailThink you've seen it all? Think again. We'd bet the farm you've never witnessed a popcorn machine that shoots those delicious popped kernels into your mouth on command. The Popinator Project, conceived by Popcorn Indiana, is a wonderfully geeky device touted as the "world's first automated voice activated popcorn shooter." Just say the word 'pop' and it will fire a snack towards your mouth.

As silly (and ridiculously fun) as a popcorn launching machine sounds, there's actually some impressive electrical engineering at work. Voice activation is just one component. The Popinator uses a fancy binaural microphone system that analyzes sound waves to figure out where the word 'pop' originated from. It uses that information to turn and aim its launcher at the person requesting a snack.

Popinator

"Every piece of popcorn is different -- different shapes and sizes, different aerodynamic properties, basically," explains Ted (last name unknown), an electrical engineer at Popcorn Indiana. "When you're shooting a piece of popcorn, there's only so accurate you can get it, You might have to maneuver a little bit to catch it, but that's really just part of the fun."

And "fun" is the whole idea. Sure, there are gimmicky benefits; as one person in the promotional video above explains, the Popinator could come when handy when your hands are tied up playing videogames. But the Popinator is really just an awesome novelty, one that we hope moves from an in-house project into a shipping product.

"We certainly hope that one day it will become a commercial project, but as of now there is no shipping date and no price tag," Popcorn Indiana says.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:01 PM

I wonder if you could put something else like Whopper candies in there.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
Travelluna replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:33 PM

Fun, great Christmas gift

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,535
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:54 PM

Perfect for when you get hungry during a long frantic gaming session. I love it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 4:31 PM

How practical is this? lol Fun is correct, but only 1 popcorn at a time...

Joma, if you know how to program it i guess u can, a Whopper is heavier then a popcorn :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Any one of our 10 gourmet popcorn varieties would work great with this http://www.popcornlovers.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ABetts replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 9:47 AM

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 105

I know my brother would love this. When we were kids we would bounce food off walls, ceilings, roofs whatever and he would be able to catch with a high degree of accuracy.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS