OCZ Offers Sneak Peek Of First Home Grown Barefoot 3 SSD

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,383
Points 1,192,260
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 13 2012 1:53 AM
Various unveilings in San Francisco today weren't completely overshadowed by our friends at Apple and their shiny new bauble.  OCZ Technology gave us a quick, backroom glimpse of their next generation SSD technology that is slated to launch sometime hopefully in early Q4. This latest OCZ solid state drive will be powered by the company's new Barefoot 3 controller, a ground-up design built by OCZ's Indilinx design team. 

OCZ is claiming performance numbers in the area of 100,000 IOPS and sustained read/write bandwidth exceeding that of current high-end SandForce 2500 series drives.  It looks a lot like any other SSD but the details on the silk screened white etch of the chips tell the story.

In addition, if you were paying attention, you might have noticed there's a blank spot on this PCB for more DRAM cache. Reps from OCZ noted that drives will be populated with more DRAM cache as required for enterprise or high availability applications in various versions of the drive.  Stay tuned; we hear samples should be hitting our labs sometime in October.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 2:33 PM

I wish them good luck! I was afraid that they'd give up on SSDs, after the major fail that their current-gen models are.

The home-grown chips are an excellent idea. All the troublesome SSDs use Sandforce, and it's no coincidence.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,688
Points 104,345
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 3:36 PM

OK, I'm ready to see these drives in action.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 8:00 AM

Interested in seeing some reviews to see how these perform. Reliability will obviously be important.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS