Samsung to Start Constructing 10nm Chip Facility in China

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 12 2012 9:10 AM
Samsung, the world's most active memory chip maker, announced today that it's begun constructing a new facility in Xi'an, China that will make use of advanced 10-nanometer class technology in producing NAND flash memory chips. The South Korean company said it's investing $2.3 billion in the new fab, marking the single largest investment by Samsung in China with a phased total investment of $7 billion.

"It is a great honor to announce our groundbreaking at Xi'an, a city of tremendous historic and academic significance, as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Korea and China," Samdung Vice Chairman and CEO Dr. Oh-hyun Kwon said in a statement. "At this time, our memory semiconductor business also marks its 20th consecutive year as the leader of the memory industry. The new Samsung China Semiconductor fab will lay a solid foundation for continued supply of leading memory components, enabling Samsung to further spearhead the advancement of the IT industry and enhanced user experiences."

Xi'an Bell Tower
Xi'an, at more than 3,100 years old, is one of the oldest cities in China.

Xi'an is viewed as a desirable location because it's at the center of development of advanced electronics technology. The location's industry landscape offers access to basic resources like water and power, and is home to 37 universities and 3,000 R&D centers all focused on advanced IT technology.

Samsung says its new plant will be fully operational in 2014.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,849
Points 45,900
rapid1 replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 9:28 AM

Wow 10nm ! See this is one thing that really ticks me off about the Apple case. Samsung innovates and never stops while Apple builds some cool stuff with other manufacturers components. It just really ticks me off that a court would rule on totally general junk like a curve on a smart phone screen/body design or touch control which was developed by people other than APPLE but they get the credit for it. Either way I am glad to see that that 1 Billion is just a ripple in the stream to Samsung and there just moving. I cannot believe there are 37 universities and 3000 R&D centers that is incredibleeee!

ASUS Z87C
i7-4770K
Xonar DGX
Intel Gigabit CT
Geforce GTX 770 4GB
G.Skill X1600/1754 2x8GB 7/8/8/24
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:14 PM

Well seeing that iphone 5 is using 4g LTE, samsung gets to punch back. Samsung clearly makes a better products and apple knows that.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,040
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 7:21 PM

Im with you rapid1. Its just unfair and down right evil how they can get away with everything they do.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 55
Giane replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 5:56 AM

That is great. why they have chosen China for manufacturing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 656
Points 5,955
mhenriday replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:10 AM

Smart move on the part of Samsung to locate this fab in China's interior, away from the over-heated East Coast. Can't wait to see Qin Shi Huang's terracotta warriors equipped with 10 nm chips striding out to greet visitors by shaking their spears !...

Henri

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 315
akcent14 replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 4:29 AM

Samsung also creates good products and also they sell their products in very cheaper rate. for this reason samsung hold their market place better in Asia than Apple.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 11:22 AM

What happens when China gets pissed-off at South Korea and nationalizes this bright shiny new factory?

Let's just say that I hope that they don't pull a "Chavez" on Samsung.

Also, one would think that building in their own country would be a wiser economic choice for Samsung.

Initial cost would be more. Setting up the support structure for this factory would cost more. But improving the paychecks of so many of their countrymen would not be a bad move at all.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS