Spotify to Launch Web Browser Version, Pandora Doubly Screwed

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,369
Points 1,192,115
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 1:42 AM
Ever since Spotify launched in the U.S. last year it’s been rapidly acquiring subscribers, who have been enjoying the music streaming service on computers, mobile devices, and even A/V receivers. Spotify offers, among other features, the ability to create “radio stations”--just like Pandora.

Spotify presence in the U.S. is not good for Pandora, but the two services differed fundamentally in that the former functions as an application on a device while the latter is Web-based and accessible from a browser. Unfortunately for Pandora, Spotify is about to change that by launching a browser-based version of its own service, according to TechCrunch.

Spotify

In addition to allowing users to access their Spotify accounts from any Web-connected device with a browser, the revamped Spotify will also reportedly include an increased focus on discovery, with more suggestions for artists and albums and a greater emphasis on following various individual’s playlists. There may also be a change in price plans, with the premium option dropping from $9.99 to $8 per month.

Spotify isn’t Pandora’s only problem this week, though; the service’s stock price took a nasty tumble--down 17%--on the news that Apple is considering launching its own Internet radio service.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 5:02 PM

Awesome. That's the only thing that prevented me from trying it out yet. Don't need more programs cluttering up my HDD.

Also, I hope this spurs Pandora to tweak the way their system works, even if it means changing the structure of their licensing contracts.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:53 AM

I'm still using free streaming like I Heart Radio and Grooveshark. I don't see myself paying a subscription when I can find decent streaming for free.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS