Super Tiny VIA EPIA-P910 is a Pico-ITX Quad-Core PC with DX11 Graphics

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,690
Points 1,156,390
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 7 2012 10:54 AM
VIA, evidently a believer in the philosophy that big things come in small packages, announced what it claims is the world's first quad-core pico-ITX board with 3D display capabilities. It's the VIA EPIA-P910, a pint-sized slice of silicon featuring the latest VIA VX11H MSP in combination with a VIA QuadCore E-Series processor.

"The VIA EPIA-P910 features the most advanced technology from VIA with the latest VIA VX11H MSP and VIA QuadCore E-Series processor," said Epan Wu Head of the VIA Embedded Platform Division, VIA Technologies, Inc. "It provides superior computing performance and the richest display capabilities allowing embedded system designers to innovate for immersive embedded environments."

VIA EPIA-P910-Pico-ITX

The VIA VX11H MSP supports DirectX 11 visuals and can drive 3D stereoscopic displays. As for the CPU, it's a four-core part clocked at 1GHz. Other features include HDMI, VGA, and LVDS display connectivity; support for up to 8GB of DDR3-1333 memory; HD audio; USB 3.0 ports; and more. This all comes packed into a board that measures a scant 10cm by 7.2cm.

VIA says its newest pico-ITX embedded PC can be used in a wide array of next generation ultra-compact devices for applications in healthcare, logistics, fleet management, and other vertical market segments.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
JTralalak replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:40 AM

VIA QuadCore U4650 1.0+GHz (1.2GHz capable PMON, 18W TDP) + VIA VX11H MSP (with VIA Chrome 645/640 GPU DirectX 11, up to 700MHz engine clock, up to 1 GB DDR3 frame buffer, TDP 5.8W) = better performance and performance per watt how AMD Brazos 2.0 Platform.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,558
Points 103,045
MembershipAdministrator

What can I say,...it's "cute".  Smile

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 12:26 AM

realneil:

What can I say,...it's "cute".  Smile

Lol its cuter than the raspberry pi I got sitting on a shelf doing nothing and way more powerful also. To bad its about 8x the price as a raspberry pi.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,558
Points 103,045
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:20 PM

I wanted a Raspberry Pi but I couldn't figure out what I would do with it. Indifferent  So I didn't get it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 6:40 PM

realneil:

I wanted a Raspberry Pi but I couldn't figure out what I would do with it. Indifferent  So I didn't get it.

That is actually a very valid question. I was really excited when I got it and then took awhile to figure it own and then after that was kinda like alright this is cool what what can I do with it. I've used both regular xbmc and raspbmc on it and it pretty much just is sitting on a shelf not doing anything. I mainly got it to see if I could configure it in a way to sell to customers looking for something to steam and watching movies and TV off of but could not exactly figure out the best way to do that. While it streams 1080p fine it has issues with bigger files over id say about 6-7gb. The free TV channels you can get on it barely have anything over 1080p which is fine since I can deal with 720p but it never quite looked right on the TV. Almost like it kept reverting to 4:3 instead of displaying in 16:9. I just don't know. I have more or less moved on from it but I still look around for other things or improvements I can use it with. Originally this was bought as an alternative to jail breaking Apple TV 2's for some customer that I have.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,558
Points 103,045
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:17 PM

The idea of a tiny PC for so cheap is what called to me. If I had a use for it I would still get it,....but I have too many unused PCs sitting here as it is.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 7:49 PM

realneil:

The idea of a tiny PC for so cheap is what called to me. If I had a use for it I would still get it,....but I have too many unused PCs sitting here as it is.

I understand. The goal originally was have a PC for storage to use like a NAS and use the Pi to stream but while it was cheap, it was about $40 for the pi and a case it just has its limitations. I read alot about overclocking it and getting better preformance out of it but you could run into heat issues and would need to rig something up and it just became a pain the butt for something I was hoping to spend some time on but not alot. Ended up just building a complete HTPC out of a full size tower and sharing it to steam to computers and just ran a long HDMI to the main TV in the house to simplify it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,925
OSunday replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 9:10 PM

At $25 it's almost worth the price to just play with and mess around.

If you've ever looked at some of the projects others have accomplished with it, it's more than easy to get some inspiration.

Some personal favorites of mine have been raspbmc, using it as an emulator or a dedicated minecraft computer (a possible idea I have for one of my younger siblings who loves minecraft) 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:47 PM

I know there is alot of things it "can" be used for but I dont have any interest in those or time. I got a few other projects going on that for the foreseeable future is all I will have time for. Minecraft server might be something I do. Kinda inspiring me to revisit the subject when I get time.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Mon, Apr 29 2013 11:38 PM

Clixxer:

I know there is alot of things it "can" be used for but I dont have any interest in those or time. I got a few other projects going on that for the foreseeable future is all I will have time for. Minecraft server might be something I do. Kinda inspiring me to revisit the subject when I get time.

Same here... If I had the time and energy to mess round with it I definitely would, and I could certainly enjoy using it.  But, as of this moment I would never be able to find the time or energy to use it... I would rather just use my real PC XD

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS