Which brand of router do you own?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA Posted: Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:14 PM
Current have a DLink, was considering one of the newer ASUS routers.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

I've been using a TrendNet TEW-639GR router now for about 3 years and it has served me well. It is located in the upstairs bedroom on the south side of my apartment, and the signal strength is very good downstairs on the north side of the apartment. There are 16 wireless networks within range of my laptop, but still there is no interference whatsoever. I would definitely recommend TrendNet. Congrats on scoring that HotHardware Corsair gaming system, JOMA!Yes

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 60
goldone replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 2:56 AM

I've been using the same router (TrendNet TEW-639GR). It's been ok, however I live in a really old house with brick walls and have a lot of trouble with weak signal about 50 - 100 feet from the router.

I just received a ASUS RT-N56u that I ordered, so we'll see how well this one does.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,585
ForumsAdministrator

goldone:
however I live in a really old house with brick walls and have a lot of trouble with weak signal about 50 - 100 feet from the router.

I suppose that I'm fortunate my apartment has wall boarding! I've heard that the metal lath in older lath-and-plaster walls can really hinder a wireless signal, too. Post back after you install your new Asus router and let me know how it works versus your TrendNet router!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 8:02 AM

i'd be curious to hear about your experience with the ASUS router. That is one of the units I was considering.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator

I have Lath & Plaster walls in my house and a metal roof too.

I use a Netgear N600 Dual Band Router and it's a lot better than the two Belkin-'N' Routers that I used to have to use. I used one as the router and one as an extender so that the signal would penetrate to the other side of my house.

The Netgear gives me full signal anywhere I go in the house.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:16 AM

Ancient Buffalotech one running DDWRT. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS