Sony PS Vita Hacked, Fresh ROMs in the Oven

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,220
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 6 2012 10:01 AM
Sony isn't going to like this one bit, but the PS Vita is well on its way to being able to run homebrewed software. Yifan Lu, the developer-slash-reverse engineer guru responsible for jailbreaking Amazon's Kindle device and the PS Xperia (running PSX games on Xperia Play), is cooking up a homebrew loader for Sony's flagship handheld game console.

The project is based on a PS Vita exploit Lu discovered, one in which he's not sharing with the public because then Sony would just plug the hole. It's also worth mentioning that the source code is still very much a work in progress, so there's nothing to share with PS Vita owners just yet.

PS Vita

That's not going to give Sony warm fuzzies. If you recall, Sony doesn't take kindle to people hacking its consoles, and it wasn't all that long ago that the company aggressively pursued legal action against famed modder George Hotz for hacking the PlayStation 3. Lu could be next on the list.

Sony isn't the only one concerned with piracy. An indie developer working on his first project took to Twitter to voice his concerns to Lu, saying "it's too early in [the PS Vita's] lifecycle to be allowing piracy."

"I hate piracy as much as any developer. If it wasn't made clear, it is physically impossible to run 'backups' with my exploit," Lu tweeted in response.
  • | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 6:43 PM

"Sony doesn't take kindle to people hacking its consoles..." lulz 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

Hurray!...er i mean, thats terrible...

Actually in all honesty the only reason i like it when these devices get hacked is because they have so much potential to run homebrew apps that you can because sony locked down the device.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

I would love it if he disabled backups and instead only homebrew, but fact is, someone else will remove that limitation.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,911
Points 24,625
digitaldd replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:01 AM

If the Vita did get home brew first thing to come would be emulators and that would mean PS Vita owners would have something to play on their device. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS