Nokia Unveils Lumia 920 and 820 Smartphones, Believes Them to be Most Innovative on the Market

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Sep 5 2012 3:11 PM
Nokia announced the next generation of its smartphones today, the high-end Nokia Lumia 920 and the mid-range Lumia 820, both of which feature beautiful design with bright colors to choose from, a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor, and the Windows Phone 8 operating system.

The 920 boasts a huge 4.5-inch display and an 8.7MP Nokia PureView camera with a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, which is equipped with two-stage autofocus, LED flash, and serious optical stabilization. (The 820’s camera is nearly as strong, but lacks the optical stabilization feature.) For video, they can both shoot in 1920x1080 HD at 30fps. The camera is a major selling point of the devices, and they purport to offer unparalleled performance in low-light environments and shaky situations.

Nokia Lumia 920

As far as ports go, both the 920 and 820 have micro-USB charging and data connectors, 3.5mm audio jacks, and micro-USB 2.0. For communication, both phones have WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 3.1, and NFC capabilities, and they both offer 1GB of internal memory with another 32GB available via a memory card and 7GB of cloud storage in SkyDrive.

The specs list for both indicate that Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and One Note are on board, and the default browser is Internet Explorer 10. You can also stream as much music as you want, for free, from Nokia Music’s library.

Nokia City Lens view
Nokia City Lens view

GPS capabilities are also baked in, and navigation tools include Nokia Maps, Nokia Drive, Nokia City Lens (an augmented reality view of the areas around you when viewed through the device’s camera), Nokia Transport, Offline map support, and turn-by-turn voice navigation.

The new Lumia devices also support Qi charging, which lets you charge the devices simply by placing them on their charging plates, or wirelessly with a Wireless Shell accessory.

Nokia charging station

Nokia has bet big on these phones and Windows Phone 8; it remains to be seen if the gamble will pay off, but these devices look terrific, and Nokia looks a lot smarter for hitching its wagon to Windows Phone today than it did a year ago.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

From what i have seen so far i would have to agree with them they are the most Innovative right now.

Iphone 4S all looks pretty much the same as every other Iphone. Android its really much different from an os prospective.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator

They look like nice phones.

Don't like the colors though.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 245
ATigre replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 2:52 AM

It's hard to believe that just five years ago almost everybody had a Nokia phone. Let's see if they can pick up the pace again.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Points 510
BurntChz replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 10:38 AM

I like the fact that they give you so many choices for colors (it's strange that more models aren't doing this), but the 'smurf' blue and the shade of yellow are god awful ...and where is orange? It seems every other color of the rainbow is covered, but orange :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

Looks like a great phone, I love the look of it. Hopefully it comes to big red so I can get my mits on it! Any chance of a hhware review before October?

Now you're just mashing it!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

Its hard to believe apple was about to close a little over 10-15 yrs ago

Its hard to believe blizzard World of Warcraft was make or brake for them.

Companies will rise and fall... you will never be number 1 forever, someone will always try and out do you.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

i do really love this phone, i will be going nokia over samsung for sure.

The camera was perfect for my wifes needs, now she can scroll with gloves on... awesome.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

I was a little disappointing that there was no microsd slot but I guess you have the cloud. I guess its better because if you lose your phone you still have the files. You also dont need to connect your phone to the computer to upload the images. Not that I have even used the 16GB on my current phone.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS