Amazon Says No Thanks to Google, Teams with Nokia on Maps for Kindle Fire

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,509
Points 1,197,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Sep 2 2012 11:15 AM
According to Reuters, Amazon will be adding integrated mapping to the Kindle Fire by partnering with Nokia, which means that Google Maps won’t be on yet another platform, Apple having ditched it with the iOS 6 release.

Amazon is expected to announce a new round of Kindle Fires (and possibly other devices) at a press conference this week, so the news of integrated maps functionality is timely. It’s reasonable to assume that in addition to Nokia’s maps, Amazon will have built in some of the mapping technology it acquired when it bought 3D mapping service UpNext earlier this summer.

More exciting for new Kindle Fire buyers, Reuters’ sources also indicated that the new version will have location capabilities, be it GPS or WiFi Triangulation.

Amazon Kindle Fire maps

A footnote to this news concerns Nokia and its slow climb back from the brink. The company has seen its share of struggles in the last year or so and its fortunes have evaporated into a shadow of what they once were. Down but not out, however, Nokia is working on a comeback via new Windows Phone devices, and keeping its other technologies--such as maps--relevant by partnering with a juggernaut like Amazon will certainly help the rebuilding effort.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 11:41 AM

>> Nokia is working on a comeback via new Windows Phone devices,

Wait... isn't that what nearly killed them? http://www.thestreet.com/story/11003833/1/nokia-leaps-to-microsoft-stock-falls.html

Isn't "doing the same thing and expecting different results" the very definition of insanity?

This Android-powered Kindle device is the first think I've heard of that could slow Elop's race for the bottom.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
KMilton replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 4:15 PM

I like my phone and my tablet to have consistent tools. I won't be going with the Kindle.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515

To be honest im not really surprised, from what ive heard Nokia's map software outclasses google's by quite a margin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Nokia has alot of history and i owned a nokia5110 way back in the day tjen upgraded to the 3310 it sure was the best back then the 4 liner phone. My last nokia phone was the n96 one of the best phone i owned due to alot off apps and customization. Way before than thay stupid iphonny came. I would still get a nokia phone om just waiting for their pureview phone to come out at least the new ones.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,797
Points 40,660

Now let Nokia manufacture the device and it will be indestructible! :P lol

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 10:54 AM

Why would Nokia want to partner with Windows phones in the first place?! Those phones are garbage... Nokia used to be a big dog. :(

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 2:36 PM

Your opinion on WP aside, MS does pay them to make Windows Phones. So it's actually cheaper for them than to have to pony up the funds to promote Android, which in turn would also have them paying MS instead of MS paying them.

While Nokia hasn't yet given up on Symbian, which is what they were using before WP. Also competing with already established Android devices would make it harder for them to control pricing and would likely reduce their margins so they could wind up even having a harder time recovering, at least for the short term.

Basically, just offering Android won't ensure success for them and with MS paying them, they have time to consider their options and decide if they really want to give up on Symbian, which they haven't yet.

Really, even Samsung is still developing its own alternative to Android and also making Windows Phones too. Along with HTC...

It's taken awhile but opinions on WP are turning around. Ever since version 7.5 came out things have been turning around. So between MS promoting/financing and future potential if MS WP8/WRT/W8 marketing pays off that it may be at least a viable choice.

Besides, having choices helps promote competition and that helps ensure we get the best products to choose from.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 4,720

Out of all the phones on the market right now, I would say like the windows phone is by far the best. Clearly you have not used one or you are a massive apple/android fanboy.

It is very fluid and smooth. I love the active tiles and the layout. If is very different from android and apple.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS