Frenemies? Microsoft SkyDrive Goes Cross-Platform with Android and Apple Devices

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 12:54 AM
Microsoft’s SkyDrive online storage service is now available from Android smartphones and tablets. And it already supported iPhones, iPads, and Macs. All this means that you don’t need to use a Windows-based system to manage your SkyDrive files. Heck, you can even edit Office documents on your SkyDrive folder with the free Office Web Apps Preview.

If you’re starting to feel like you’re seeing a new side of Microsoft, you’re not alone. From the portable Surface and social network-savvy Windows 8 to cross-platform cloud services, Microsoft is working hard to go where you go, and that means getting friendly (or, at least, compatible) with the likes of Apple and Google.

SkyDrive Goes Cross-Platform

We’ll likely get a better look at Microsoft’s master plan as Window 8 launches and picks up steam, but for the moment, we’re intrigued by investor Charlie Kindel’s take on Microsoft’s new moves, as highlighted recently in Xconomy. Kindel sees a subscription-based revenue model centering around cloud services for Microsoft’s future. And to do that, he points out, Microsoft needs to support companies like Apple. Check out Xconomy for more of Kindel’s take and video of his talk.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 4:27 PM

Interesting...I already use skydrive and i have to say i really like it. I also like the way that its been integrated into windows 8 and has a place in the taskbar. It will be nice to be able to access all my files from anywhere but its interesting that Microsoft seems to be bending to the will of the public on this one. Guess they need the public interest with apple bearing down on them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,150
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 6:14 PM

Nothing wrong with compatibility. It's a little strange to see it coming from Redmond though,.....

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 307
Points 2,685
JDiaz replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 1:08 AM

Not really, MS isn't in just the OS business but the general software and services businesses as well. Basically, as long as they stand to profit more then they're going to offer their software and/or services to reach as many possible consumers as possible.

It's one of the reasons why they have contributed so much code to Linux and for years MS has Offered a version of Office for Macs as early as 1998. Back in February MS also released OneNote for Android phones. So this is really just the latest example of MS expanding their market.

While services like SkyDrive compete with similar services like DropBox. So it's in MS interest to offer it to at least the same range of users or risk people not using them because they can use the competitive product more conveniently.

Mind also MS is pushing harder now their online services with the upcoming Office 2013, which will also bring about a Pro Version of SkyDrive.

Along with the helping to work out how all WP8, W-RT, and W8/Pro devices will be able to work together.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS