Sony's "Future Of Television" Arrives: It's An 84" 4K HDTV

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,824
Points 1,167,010
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 29 2012 9:00 PM
Hello, beautiful. There really isn't a whole lot more to say about Sony's new HDTV, but we'll try. At IFA in Berlin, Sony unveiled "the future of television," and while such wording is bold, it may honestly be warranted in this particular case. The company's newest is a massive 84" set, and better still, it's a 4K HDTV, which ought to make your 1080p set look plainly dated. It's the company's first TV made to handle native 4K (3840x2160), which is four times the Full HD capabilities that exist widely already. The new XBR 4KTV will arrive in Sony Stores and select retail locations in North America later this year, well before most of us can procure 4K content that we don't shoot ourselves on a RED or Canon camera.

As you'd expect, this one also supports 3D. Not a huge surprise, given that Sony has pushed 3D about as hard as any company could. The XBR-84X900 4K TV also boasts a 10 Unit Live Speaker system for virtual 5.1 surround, and it also offers full network connectivity. If you've got an Android tablet, download the Media Remote App to control things that way. With built-in WiFi users can access movies, TV shows, and online video and music through the Sony Entertainment Network suite of services including Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, Netflix, Pandora, Yahoo! Broadcast Interactivity and more than 50 other popular internet entertainment providers.

Price? Nah, there's no price. But let's just say that you should start saving right now if you even have a prayer of affording this thing.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Wowowow. That is so sexy. Lol this will be EXPENSIVE. i dont think that saving now andeven with alot of prayer that i can afford it. But i want to see it in person.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 110
leixinai replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 3:47 AM

Nice for demo shows. But are there any movies planned to be released in this resolution? Are there any games planned for this resolution (at this time, when most of the games are not even full HD).

For video/gaming purposes it is uselles. For vacation photo slideshow it is overkill.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:27 AM

Looks like it's wider than a normal TV. I saw the new wider monitors the other day would be nice to have some tv's that are theater wide for movie watching.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:44 AM

The best thing about this newer, bigger, better gear that keeps coming out is that it drives down the price of existing products.

This will be outrageous to use, but it will be too much for most of us to afford.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 265
turtle replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:56 AM

Wonder what panel they are using (when LG announced this size screen in a product a week ago)...so take the 20k LG price, add Sony tax...hmm. 25-30k?

Also yeah, it will be a decade or so before 4k hits a 50% penetration rate, probably 5 or so years before most people can afford a sane-sized screen, and of course a game console would not be geared towards it until the gen after the upcoming one (if we don't go all streaming). That said, this completes the chicken/egg scenario.

Yes, there is 4k content shot for movies, and it will trickle downwards to other media and then prosumers and consumers...more content will emerge as the market grows because people acquire >1080p displays.

In the meantime there are 4k upscalers in everything from AVRs (like Marvel's chips) to even gpu/cpus, not to mention current and future gpu solutions not only allow, but going forward should make this resolution a PC gaming reality because the standard 'spec' for games will be 1080p and geared toward the grunt of the xbox3/ps4. If you figure Moore's Law into things, the mainstream (midrange GPUs) should be able to play 4k by around the next full node after 20nm. To bring that full circle, that's about 5-6 years...when most people will start buying these displays.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,085
Points 10,995
CDeeter replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:58 AM

Lol even if I could afford one, I'd have to borrow someones pick up truck in order to get it home, as it would never fit inside my Saturn. Wonder how heavy it is, and if it could be wall mounted with out structural reinforcement. lol

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 9:27 AM

4k is really sexy in paper. I want one. But then I think.. Pixels of that density aren't visible to the human eye, if you sit the recommended distance from the screen.

So I ask..

why?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 12:36 PM

Leixani.... What do you mean it's not suitable for gaming?! Or that a game doesn't run at that resolution?? If you are referring to consoles then you are correct a 360 or PS3 don't have games that natively run at anything above 1080p and even if they did the consoles wouldn't be able to pipe it out... So what about PC's? Especially if you're running beefy videocards, SLI, etc, why wouldn't you be able to pump out this resolution? I was running resolutions much higher than 1080p on my 20-24" computer monitors back in 2004 well before HDTV's were mainstream and I still owned a CRT TV. What it looks like is since there isn't any 4k content that this would be ideal ONLY for gaming to the average consumer who can't create 4k content on their own.

Erakith:

What do you mean you can't see pixels of that density it you sit at the recommended distance? If you mean you can't see individual pixels then you are correct but that's completely the point and eventually you won't be able to see one single pixel unless you use a magnifier. But that doesn't mean you don't see it if you didn't then you wouldn't see a picture at all or you would be seeing gaps/artifacts in the picture because of the pixels you can't see.... But none of thanks true. If the tv was made up of 1 single pixel yeah you probably couldn't see it but all of them working together will actually give you a much denser and realistic looking image. Go outside and look at a tree, you don't notice ever pixel sized area on the tree but the tree as a whole has a lot of detail and is pretty realistic isn't it lol

On the flip side I really REALLY feel that 4k TVs are already obsolete.... With 8k sets being simultaneously developed there is no way a 4k tv looks attractive and I'll buy in when 8k is out rather than a 4k and within 2~ years upgrade to an 8k.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS