Apple Moves in For The Kill, Seeks Ban of 8 Samsung Devices

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,369
Points 1,192,085
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:18 AM
After knocking Samsung to the mat by winning a damages award in excess of a billion dollars for copyright infringement in the U.S., Apple is ready to pounce on its rival and go for the kill by seeking a swift ban on the sale of eight devices in the States.

These are older model devices though, such as the Galaxy S2 and Droid Charge, so even if Apple is successful in banning Samsung's products, the company will still have a fighting chance in the mobile market with its highly popular Galaxy S III device. That is, if and until Apple decides to sue Samsung over the S III as well, which it may very well decide to do now that a jury ruled in its favor on several patents and design features.

"While a ban would likely increase Apple's leading smartphone share in the U.S. market, we believe this verdict could lead to Samsung also delaying near-term product launches as it attempts to design around Apple's patents," Canaccord Genuity analysts said.

Samsung Galaxy S II Smartphone

That's precisely what Samsung intends to do. Looking to avoid a kill shot by Apple, Samsung said it will do whatever possible to keep its products on on store shelves.

"We will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products in the U.S. market," Samsung said in a statement to the press.

Though limited, Samsung has options. In addition to redesigning its products to sidestep Apple's patents, the company is also like to appeal and file paperwork to stop the injunction.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Well by the time this gets approved its will be already too late. The aapproximate lifespan of a smartphone in the US should be 6months before a new one arrives .. so wgar im saying is that samsung alreafy makes it profit and its time for a not rounded s4 to come out. What a bunch of crooks man. Seriously they piss me the f*** off. What a way to start the morning.....

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:14 AM

nicoletoledo:

Well by the time this gets approved its will be already too late. The aapproximate lifespan of a smartphone in the US should be 6months before a new one arrives .. so wgar im saying is that samsung alreafy makes it profit and its time for a not rounded s4 to come out. What a bunch of crooks man. Seriously they piss me the f*** off. What a way to start the morning.....

Pretty much this. Well said.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 355
Chondro replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 11:37 AM

like apple needs more money, I looove my galaxy, long live samsung!

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 510
DHampton replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 1:41 PM

honestly the changes of patent system are screwed up now whoever has biggest wallet wins. Last couple years have years we have seen all these patent disputes. Due to reduced cost and ease to challenge standing patents.

Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 340
Diggity0 replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:02 PM

I don't understand how anyone can think that banning Samsung's products can be good for Apple. It just raises awareness of the issue and I think that most people in the end will support Samsung/Android because no one seems to be fond of Apple's tactics.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:32 PM

Let's see, Apple rips off all previous tablet designers (yes, there were several, going all the way back to Stanley Kubrick in "2001 A Space Odyssey", and even earlier), files and wins patents that defy all rules for patenting inventions (such as "obviousness" and "prior art"), sues Samsung in Apple's home turf, where Apple is regarded as a "can do no wrong" god, and the jury awards Apple a win. Gee, what a surprise.

You know, I think if I were to sue Apple for violating my patents on gaming the legal system in, say, Beijing, I'd probably win, too.

This is why Apple products are banned here where I work (aside from the obvious technical issues) and why I will never own one. And in the Eighties, I was a HUGE Apple fan, just couldn't afford any of their products then. Now I'm glad I couldn't.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS