Research In Motion Stock Reaps Benefits from Apple, Samsung Verdict

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,509
Points 1,197,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 27 2012 2:34 PM
While Samsung reels from a billion dollar damages award levied against the company, Research In Motion (RIM) is seeing its share price rise in the stock market today. RIM shares jumped by more than 4 percent in early morning trading on Monday, and while things have settled in the afternoon, RIM's stock is still up around 2 percent at $7.07 per share.

The boost in RIM's stock price is a knee jerk reaction to Apple's legal victory against Samsung, in which a jury found the latter guilty of patent infringement for copying the look and feel of iPhone and iPad devices. After tallying up the penalties, Samsung left the courtroom holding a bill for more than a billion dollars, payable to Apple. The verdict could have a bigger impact on the mobile industry as a whole, however, if Apple chooses to go after other Android partners with similar claims.

RIM BlackBerry Torch
RIM's BlackBerry platform suddenly looks more attractive to investors after Samsung, a key Android partner, lost a high profile lawsuit to Apple.

Apple is obviously the biggest winner in all of this, but with questions now surrounding the Android platform, companies like RIM and Microsoft can sit back and reap the temporary awards. The timing couldn't be any better for RIM, which faces its own set of questions regarding the company's future and ability to compete in the mobile space.
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:21 PM

Some good news on the overall horrible outcome of the court case. Good luck to RIM, but I'm still seething about the verdict on the case.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 3:54 PM

This is great news for RIM, they really could use a break, even if only a small and possibly temporary one like this.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 4:37 PM

Great for RIM although what drew me to this article was the pic of the lil kid, HILARIOUS!!

I don't understand how the ruling would drive up the stock price of RIM, I mean the ruling against Samsung was for how their devices look not the OS or anything. RIM has tablets and phones with rounded corners also so can't they be a potential target as well?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 4:41 PM
Well they can use all the help they can get. We're talking about ditching BB for our corp phones and switching to either BYOD or iphones.
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

Who uses BB anyway

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130
DDK replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 7:17 PM

I don't bother with BB or RIM.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 95
RRajan replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 7:31 PM

Good for them

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Good for RIM but yeah that is a knee jerk reaction. Android itself is fine. There are other companies making devices, not just Samsung. It's like some gas stations east of Texas raising the price of gas because of a refinery fire in California.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:33 PM

A lot of companies still use them. We use them at work. The one think I love about the BB is the physical keyboard. I can type really fast on it compared to my iPhone.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:44 PM

BB's, like Nokia, are more popular in other parts of the world than they are in the US. In some places they're even still doing well. So even though the company has definitely seen a major decline, they're still holding on for now.

Besides, the popular keyboard, BB's also provide better than average email service and the messaging service is not only popular but pretty much the most secure solution available. Since everything is encrypted... So security conscious still prefer it. Generally it's also the cheaper solution in many cases as well.

It's just the lack of flexibility and uses other than as a phone that are their present weaknesses, which hopefully BB10 will address.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Apple may have won the fight but not the war. Its good that other companies benefited but still a great loss. Samsung will be reincarnated and kicks apples bum.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:04 PM

Thats the biggest obstacle blackberry has faced recently, trying to keep customers on an antiquated OS and Old hardware because they are business friendly, so their competition in the android and IOS divisions come up with ways to incorporate Blackberry's features and improve on them, not to mention they had touch screen capability and better content capabilities. Rim was defeated before it new they were fighting and now they are trying t stand back up. Maybe this will help give them the boost they need.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 255

i do have a BB, well not for so long.. i'm waiting for Windows 8 phone actually lol. but i do agree for the keyboard. in fact i never had any problem with my BB but you know, it's getting old. so i'm looking for windows phone, no iphone for me !

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS