Nearly Half of U.S. Consumers are Indifferent to 4G LTE, Survey Says

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,861
Points 1,172,005
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:02 AM
Wireless carriers are spending big money rolling out high-speed 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks across the nation, and if a Piper Jaffray survey is any indication, almost half of American consumers are indifferent to the idea. At the same time, more than half of the 3,000 individuals polled said they're considering an iPhone 5 purchase, with 4G LTE being one of the big expected feature updates to Apple's next generation smartphone.

Some 47 percent of those surveyed said they don't need 4G LTE, while a little more than a quarter -- 26 percent -- told Piper Jaffray that all 4G network technologies are the same. Only 15 percent recognized 4G LTE as the best option, perhaps indicating that wireless carriers need to do a better job educating the masses on what all the fuss is about. We're reminded of a Saturday Night Live skit spoofing a Verizon employee who tries to explain what 4G LTE is to a customer, only to inundate him with a bunch tech jargon (see embedded video below).

Over half of the survey respondents were either unclear which carrier had the best 4G LTE network, or felt they're all the same. However, Verizon emerged as the fan favorite in the poll. Of those planning to buy an iPhone, 44 percent said they'll go with Verizon, followed by AT&T with 29 percent, and Sprint at 14 percent. Interestingly, 13 percent said they'd choose T-Mobile, the only carrier out of the four that doesn't carry the iPhone.
  • | Post Points: 245
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:07 AM

Lets take 100% of the American population and show it in terms of income, residential area, etc.

Then the 50% who lack interest in LTE will suddenly become clear.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:50 AM

That clip can't be viewed from Canada. I'm going to guess it's a United States exclusive.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:58 AM

"Interestingly, 13 percent said they'd choose T-Mobile, the only carrier out of the four that doesn't carry the iPhone."

Who cares that they don't "have" an iPhone option since there are still millions of Americans using iPhones on tmobile. Isn't it more intereating that 13% chose the only network without any real 4g? (they use 3.5+).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:35 PM

I are with the seeming indifference of half the nation. Where i live there hasnt been a good 3g plan yet. So pinning my hopes or even noticing the 4g LTE version that seems to be rolling out in such fore doesn't really matter to me much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:36 PM

I am with the seeming indifference...... etc. Sorry for the misspell but my computer won't let me edit my posts.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 3:24 PM

I honestly just dont want to pay for it...3g or 4g...ill stick with wifi

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

I mainly use wifi anyways. So i dont really mind. Any will do

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 55
NNvn replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:39 PM

The Pricing is awful and most people only browse and maybe some view youtube videos.. for them 3G suffice

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125
NKR replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:48 PM

4G is totally unnecessary for me.. I am happy with 3G..

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:55 PM
3G works fine for what I do. I use Wifi if I need to browse the web or download an app, for everything else 3G is okay.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
KPhoenix replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:25 PM

True.. and Most servers don't offer very high speeds... The only obvious benefit would be watching youtube videos

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 385
Points 3,845
RTietjens replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:44 PM

4G LTE is just another Marketing term. So who cares if you can burn up your monthly data quota in 2 hours instead of 6 hours? It's not even available in half the nation, and if it were, it's still so vastly overpriced for data that only a wealthy fool, or a desperate guy with no other data option, would choose it.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

Very True.. 4G is a very misleading term

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 110

People will buy the latest Mobiles misleaded by this 4G term

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 50
JPrakash replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:16 PM

I guess I am on the "Half of the US consumers" that don't care :P

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

LTE makes a massive difference and since we dont pay extra for it in Canada (at least with Bell), why would I be against it?

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70
CKr replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:53 PM

True !

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 115
PKumar replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:08 PM

If it costs same as 3G I would go for it

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 130
DDK replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:30 PM

4G .. hope it brings low pings... so I can use my gaming laptop for online FPS gaming

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 95
RRajan replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:50 PM

Now that is a thought

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95

Gotta love that meh cat on the top of the article

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,821
Points 45,685
rapid1 replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:43 AM

This is actually indicative of most things in technology. You are probably saying what but I learned many years ago customers do not have much knowledge of technology at all. In general they want it to do what they want it to do they do not want to know how, and they don't want you to teach them. Much of this was taught to me by family and close friends I helped out. Yes; I have worked in hardware/network end user and corporate support do 19 years now, I have been the desktop, workstation and laptop lead for Dell and HP/COMPAQ on several different occasions as well. What my family and friends taught me was to leave anything I did explain as simple as humanly possible and if it cannot be explained that way or I am not asked for more information to not even bring it up.

Now your saying ok why are you telling us this then and that is because this is the same thing. Apple did a very smart thing and I do not mean this in any way to be an insult. They made a smart phone and a mobile OS that is pretty much truly point and click on a basic open source base (that would be Linux as Apple OS's are based on a UNIX build that is not UNIX therefore it is basically another flavor of LINUX) that is simple enough for a basic user to use and feel as if there part of this technology thing, you can also go far above general use if your so inclined but there is no need. Android is just more complicated in general use.

Anyway the 4G term to begin with has been thrown around for years and therefore no one who is not moderately technically literate knows that A) there is any difference and B) why it would matter. I personally us T-Mobile and I got my initial smart phone so I could accept credit cards. I have grown very accustomed to it and moderately well versed in it now personally.

I am getting a replacement unit because activation of my GPS since the last update (of GOOGLE maps) has resulted in my phone restarting completely every time. It is not a GPS problem though it is an Android issue with the last update. SO T-MOUS is sending me a new phone and you know what I bet it does nothing to fix it but there tier 3 tech support does not know about the issue. If tier 3 tech support has no clue about any issue on forums concerning there brand specifically and this specific smartphone (A Sensation 4G no less) to the point of wasting there own money to send me a replacement unit, then how do expect a general user to know crap about what 4G is and what advantage it may provide over 3G really!

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS