Kodak Selling The Print-Film Business That Made It Famous

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,690
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 7:09 PM
"Nothing lasts forever," as the saying goes, and the time has come to wave goodbye to a staple of the photography industry. Eastman Kodak has announced intentions to sell off the film business that made it an icon around the world. In an effort to raise cash for itself (and perhaps fund ongoing digital patent battles), its traditional print-film business and "several others" will be sold. Those others include things like kiosks that develop photos on-site, heavy-duty commercial scanners, and software used for enterprise companies to process thousands of forms at once. Heck, it's even selling off the business that takes those theme park photos as you waltz in.

Kodak says that the selling will help the company shift focus to commercial businesses like printers. The company hopes to complete these during the earlier part of 2013, when it hopefully emerges from Chapter 11 protection. If it all goes down as planned, Kodak will no longer operate the businesses that made it famous, and we'll have to learn to know a new Kodak. Hard to say how the Kodak of the future will impact the consumer electronics universe, but hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:18 AM

Why the heck would anyone buy it though the patents maybe?

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:23 AM

Because it went bankrupt so it will be selling for pennies on the dollar (Maybe:D). This could be a great time to turn a profit for someone interested in purchasing their businesses.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Make money while youre at it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 10:17 AM

I think what rapid1 is getting at is why anybody would want to get into the film business when its all digital now. Phones are the new camera and they don't use film so why would anybody want to buy dated technology, maybe for some of the patents but I don't know how those would be relevant going forward.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:02 AM

Agree with rapid1 and karanm; why would you pickup a dying business? The print business should have been cannibalized by now, and its assets redistributed throughout the Kodak enterprise.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:54 AM

Perhaps some inventor somewhere will find a use for it that's surprisingly attractive and they'll manage to keep it alive for awhile longer.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:49 PM

Yea it definitely could be a great opportunity for anyone trying to pick up a solid income make a few tweaks and keep making money from a time tested revenue source

I am glad to see that Kodak is raising more capital other than just suing people to raise capital, i hope that they aren't taking this money to fund their lawsuits but using it to build a business and model that doesn't just survive but thrives in the industry.

I am not sure if printers is the best arena for them to jump into too, due to the tough competition from HP, Konica MInolta, Brother and several other industrial size to consumer size printer manufacturers.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 55
NNvn replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:41 PM

RIP film RIP Kodak :P

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125
NKR replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:49 PM

I still remember using my Kodak "normal" camera