Evernote Business Launching in December, Enjoy Moleskine Smart Notebook and Revamped Trunk in the Meantime

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,715
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:41 PM
Evernote has proven itself as a popular and useful cloud-based note-taking tool; if you’ve never used it, Evernote (available as an app on your favorite mobile OS) lets you write a note, snap a photo, or record audio and save it automatically to your device and also to a cloud storage account. You can then access those notes from any of your connected devices or via a Web interface.

Now, Evernote is edging into the SMB market with Evernote Business. Essentially, that includes all the normal features of the service, but with some added functionality to make it easier to deploy and manage company-wide. For example, there’s an Admin Console so IT managers can easily control where company data resides. Sharing with colleagues is also made easy, and setting up new accounts is as simple as inputting a user’s business email address.

Evernote Business

Evernote Business also lends itself nicely to the whole BYOD movement; being cloud-based, administrators should be able to easily handle any issues pertaining to device loss or theft. Plus, with Smart Data Ownership, users can maintain personal Evernote content that’s unavailable to IT, right alongside the business content.

Evernote Business isn’t launching until December, so in the meantime you may need to entertain yourself with other newly-announced Evernote features, including Evernote Clearly, which links your related notes together to help organize your thoughts, as well as a revamped Evernote Trunk, which is where you can find Evernote-related products and services.

Evernote Moleskine
Evernote Moleskine notebook

Finally, if you’re a Moleskine fan, Evernote has released a new limited edition Moleskine notebook designed to work specifically with your Evernote app. Users can snap pictures of physical pages with a device’s camera, tag notebook pages with Smart Stickers that the app will recognize, and more. (Nerd-tastic? Yes indeed, and unapologetically so.)
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:57 PM

:D I love things that are nerd-tastic. I have used ever note for a while now in school and the note taking is pretty simple, its alot easier to take pictures with a smart phone but more fun to take notes with a tablet. Maybe the new 7 inch apple mini-pad, will make the experience harmonize better.

PS. What is the BYOD movement? and i am confused about your reference to the SMB market, could you elaborate?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Points 3,180
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 1:26 PM

BYOD = Bring your own device.

SMB = Server message block.

The first is fairly straightforward, the second might seem a little obscure, but it's essentially just file sharing over a network.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:01 PM

Thank you, so by Server Message Block, i assume they mean over a corporate area, such as a wide company with lots of users?

Evernote is a good note taking service, and i see how it could beimplemented to record, note and share information about a company, like meetings, tips, training programs and study guides.

This could be a really useful tool, maybe they will use it for memos and things as well.

One question though, why use it over Outlook?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Points 3,180
Jaybk26 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 2:42 PM

Generally, yes.

Exactly, anything like this is especially useful when you have a project that several people are working on concurrently. At the school I work at we have a program that can be accessed by several people and we can all make changes to things at the same time and it saves a lot of time.

It seems like a logical course to pursue. It would also make calendar distributing a breeze.

Outlook isn't as mobile and I believe it's a much larger program. Evernote can be used on the go with any of the now ubiquitous smartphones.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35
JTaylor replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:33 PM

Adding an IT console definitely makes this more appealing to business units. With more and more companies requiring employees to supply their own hardware (especially mobile hardware like phones), this gives evernote a big advantage.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Targeting bbusiness is a double edge sword. You win some and then you lose some

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:16 PM

Jay, SMB is actually Small to Medium Business but hey, I learned a new acronym in the process of this thread, so all good. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:37 PM

Which is why there the consumer edition will remain in use by individuals, lacking the corporate/business functionality.

Sounds good to me; sign me up.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:57 PM

Personally I have not found a use for Evernote over other applications or at least that I prefer

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:54 PM

Ok, so now that we know its small to medium business range and the concept of a Server message block, they kind of fit in really well together.

A small business that may not need all of the power and utility provided by a outlook program, could be tempted to use the evernote software because of their history of reliability and reasonable pricing. A small business can buy the program and get good group communication and improve the dynamic work flow while saving money.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 9:46 PM

The moleskin notebook with the smart tags is cool. I've used those notebooks before and I like them, with the smart tags they would be even more useful. I don't use Evernote right now but I might try it out now.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS