RIM Starts Showing Its Make-Or-Break Devices To Carriers

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,080
Points 1,182,985
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 2:58 PM
If RIM has any fight left in it, we'll know when the next series of BlackBerry devices comes out. That make-or-break test is still months away, and we're seeing some activity on RIM's part in the run up to the big launch. Rim has shown the new devices to major carriers and is trumpeting what it claims is a positive reaction from them.Don't hold your breath for the BlackBerry launch, though: RIM still hasn't set a firm date for devices to go on sale, and analysts predict the Apple iPhone 5 will launch months before BlackBerry devices with the new BlackBerry 10 operating system hit the market.

RIM BlackBerry PlayBook

RIM CEO Thorsten Heins had hoped to get BB10 on the market by the end of the year, but conceded that it wouldn't likely happen. The date is now sometime in the early part of the coming year. Hazy timeline aside, it's encouraging to see RIM starting the dog-and-pony shows for carriers.The wheels are turning, if slowly - whether the new OS and devices will wow Apple and Android users remains to be seen.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 3:46 PM

Please do well.. please do well..

It'd be really nice to see the smartphone innovator and pioneer succeed in a newly competitive market. Back when it Blackberry vs. Symbian vs. Windows Mobile, I always used Blackberry (though I had an N95 too).. I want to keep seeing them do well, because the more competition there is in a marketplace, the more innovation that springs from it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:10 PM

I have a feeling this late start is going to put a serious damper on their sales. How many people are going to wait for the new blackberry with all the new phones being released this Fall?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 9:13 PM

Man I used to love my crackberry, but it just couldn't compete with other smartphones. I hope they can close the gap with BB10 but it looking more and more like a loosing battle for RIM.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

@erakith i had the n95 too one of the best phone ive had. If only nokia marketed towards americans more they would be on top. As long as its not an appke ill be rooting for them

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:14 PM

yea good point, with the launch of the iphone 5 the Blackberry will likely be eclipsed.

I miss the days where Blackberry was the standard in business. Where every one who had a job to do did it on a blackberry. They are good devices but they just couldn't change with the times. This resurgence should be extremely interesting. After all it is exactly like Joshua said, Its make it or break it for RIM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 12:15 AM

It will probably do well until Apple sues them for infringement and they subsequently go out of business probably before these ever hit the consumer market.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 11:19 PM

RIM has their own trove of patents, so they're not a easy target for Apple. Besides, Apple mainly goes after their biggest competitors.

While RIM is actually unlikely to go out of business regardless, they just may cease to be a hardware company but they can continue as a software company.

Besides, RIM isn't doing as badly in other countries as they are in the US and there's still no real alternative to their secure/encrypted messaging service.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS