Microsoft’s Radical New Logo: A Big Improvement, but Still Stodgy

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,907
Points 1,117,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:45 AM
It only makes sense. Microsoft is about to aggressively relaunch itself and its many products and introduce some new ones; the company is making bold moves and attempting to emerge from the shadow of its Gates-era dominance and subsequent floundering to redefine itself and its portfolio to compete head-to-head with the likes of Apple and Google. Certainly, a new logo is in order.

Indeed, after 25 years (holy crap, 1987 was 25 years ago?), Microsoft has ditched that tired old black bold-italic logo and introduced a more colorful version.

Microsoft logo old
Old and busted

The word “Microsoft” is now gray in color and in the pleasantly attractive Segoe font that’s become ubiquitous across Microsoft products and marketing materials. “Microsoft” is accompanied by a square window symbol that’s comprised of four colorful squares--red, green, blue, and yellow-ish--and is designed to represent Microsoft’s “diverse portfolio of products”.

Microsoft logo new
New hotness

Whether you dig the new logo or not, get used to it; it’s going to be everywhere Microsoft markets itself, from its own website to retail stores to TV and Web ads, and if the past is any indication, the company won’t be changing it anytime in the next couple of decades.

The new look is definitely an improvement over the old logo, which looked as dated as it was, but if this new design is supposed to be a harbinger for Microsoft’s cool, savvy resurgence, it’s a swing and a miss. It’s rather boxy and boring, which does little to dispel Microsoft’s all-too-frequent image of stodginess.

So it goes. Even so, we can’t wait to get our hands on all the new products that Microsoft is releasing this fall.
  • | Post Points: 200
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 12:53 PM

I kinda like it.. yet it seems that everyone is going for simplistic logos a la Apple.

Why is everyone trying to identify the same way Apple does? They already have the customer base. If you want to beat Apple (which I bet everyone does) you need to do something DIFFERENT. Following the same marketing path Apple have is not going to make you overtake them.

Can we not get a huge company bringing out a ridiculously over-the-top yet awesome logo? Please?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Points 3,180
Jaybk26 replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 1:10 PM

...This doesn't even seem like an improvement over the old one. :D If they're going to keep it that simple I prefer the black one infinitely more than the new "colorful" one.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 843
Points 9,155

I like it a lot, it looks great and will fit in really well with their new look.

How is this just like crapple? The apple logo has a gloss effect and no company name. This logo looks like phone 7/8, metro, Xbox dashboard, etc. they are going with the square tiled look and it only makes sense the logo would match. Simple and clean, good work ms.

Now you're just mashing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 475
KAdair replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:09 PM

I like the new lines of logos, simple logos are the way of the future these days. They also changed the xbox logo and office logo too. Just read this article about 20 mins ago.

[http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/08/23/microsoft-unveils-a-new-look.aspx]

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 3:59 PM

I don't really like it. Way too simple, its like someone wanted to change the logo and overnight toss this together. I expect a company as big as Microsoft to have a better logo. IDK that's just me.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:03 PM

Don't like it at all. Seems way to retro and not something I would equate with a technology company. If it were a logo for a tile company it would be spot on.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530
RiCoFrost replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:02 PM

I like it, its nice and simple.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,442
Points 102,210
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 8:01 PM

A multicolored Metro Turd would have been more realistic.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:36 PM

I gotta agree with Erakith, I want an over the top logo that people would look at and go WTF??? Something with an explosion or a provocative scene that makes me look twice and grabs my attention and never lets me forget the brand name because of how ridiculous or awesome it is. A quick google search netted this gem

http://www.brandidentityguru.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/bad-logo-pharmacy.jpg

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

More like an Uno trump card. Lol.

Not Ranked
Posts 74
Points 815
lifeasjosh replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 11:35 PM

Its apple font meets google's colors, i would be surprised if apple didn't sue them, LOL

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 12:18 AM

Yeah i kinda like the simplicity of the design. That said, the new logo isnt going to make MSFT into Apple.

Not Ranked
Posts 34
Points 255

i like it, it's clean and simple. But i don't think it's impressive at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 2:12 PM

Wait... that was an 'O' in the middle of their name?!?!? And here I've been calling them Micresoft all these years.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS