GameStop's Streaming Service to Shun Consoles, Focus on PCs Only

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,074
Points 1,182,895
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:08 PM
New and used game retailer GameStop has been eager to jump into the streaming space ever since it acquired Spawn Labs and Impulse in 2011, and come next summer, the company's own cloud-based service will go live. At that time, it will not support consoles, even though that was originally the plan.

"Based on consumer feedback, our success in selling mobile devices, and the imminent launch of new consoles, we have decided to move our technology to a PC-based model," GameStop president Tony Bartel said during a conference call."

GameStop Store

Details are still being hammered and more changes could be made between now and next summer, but the current plan is for GameStop's upcoming Spawn service to also support IP-capable TVs and tablets. Bartel also indicated that GameStop is actively speaking with developers and publishers in an attempt to line up hundreds of games through its patented game virtualization technology.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

sweet pc rules but a limited edition box set is still my choice

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 6:04 PM

That's too bad they're not planning on console streaming. I would love that on my XBox

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,621
Points 103,870
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:10 PM

Does anyone do business with them these days?

I found them to be way too expensive,............

Also: I have never forgotten the fact that they've actually opened games up and ~taken coupons out of them~ before selling them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:34 PM

Undoubtedly the new xbox 720 that are in the works will be connected to your computer and perhaps run some version of windows 8. The compatibility with your computer will be near perfection and the transfer of games from the gamestop store could be seamless and easy.

That being said gamestop would also have to start selling console games, i had thought that PC gaming outside the realms of Blizzard and riot had died a slow and painful death full of bad games and overly secluded nerds.(Like me)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,830
Points 45,790
rapid1 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:46 PM

The thing is a PC is just more capable in general than a console and thats especially with streaming media even more so.

MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:44 PM

I haven't shopped at GameStop in years, and agree with everything you've said.

I can't get "into" streaming services. I spent tons of money on my rig, I wanna use my own hardware, not use a pseudo VPN and use someone elses. That is the general idea, right?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,515
pwrntspd replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:05 PM

Thats interesting considering that ive felt a bit alienated as a PC gamer in gamestop. Ive felt that they cater more to console gamers, although i will say that i usually buy most of my games on steam now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:11 PM

Who? Oh gamestop, yeah I remember them from 10 years ago...

I'll be impressed it they can offer a service better than steam.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 3,190
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 10:46 AM

You're making a lot of assumptions.  One of which is that Microsoft will actually make a product work well with a computer.  After their poor attempts at conglomerating your media via WMP I do not have high hopes. 

They sell games now as well, I was more interested in the possibility of an application like Netflix, where I could effectively rent games for a monthly fee, all of which are sent straight to my console.  And LOL, I couldn't agree more with the Blizzard half of that.  The only Riot game I've heard of was terrible though:p

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS