Restaurant Pays Diners To Ditch Phones

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,826
Points 1,167,965
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:49 AM
Where is your phone when you sit down for dinner? If you're like us, it's on the table, keeping you up-to-speed on both the important and the mundane throughout the meal. It's clearly an accepted practice these days, but not everyone's on board. Some restaurants are taking a stand, and one is going so far as to offer discounts to people who part with their phones for dinner.

And we're not kidding when we say that you'll part with your phone - there's more to this than simply turning it off. EVA Restaurant, a hip spot in Los Angeles, takes 5% off your meal only if you leave your phone with the receptionist. That's right - you can't even have it on vibrate for important calls.

As you might expect, the discount isn't swaying everyone. The new discount has been around for about a month, now, and the restaurant estimates that as many as half of its customers aren't parting with their phones. But then, half of them are, and that says that the days of bringing only yourself to the dinner table may not be over for everyone. It'll be interesting to see whether phone-free discounts catch on with other restaurants.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:12 PM

I'm fine with this as long as they aren't going to put pressure on me that affects the enjoyability of my meal. Otherwise, they aren't getting a tip.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

As long as its not mandatory im good. If its 10% maybe lol. Cant miss important uodates u knoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,572
Points 103,130
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 10:04 PM

I turn mine off at dinner anyways.

Wonder what would happen if someone got their phone back with a few calls to China added to the bill?

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 4:10 PM

I put mine on vib even in movie theatres. I rely on it so much. I NEVER take calls on my phone in the theatre, but, if it vibs I'll block the light and check what's going on.

in my defense though, I do actually need that sort of connectivity for my job.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,990
JOMA replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:14 PM

I think people would rather pay the normal rate and keep their phones. There have been polls where people said they would give up X rather than their phones. X could be eating, sex, sleeping, etc.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 155
FloydF replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:23 AM

it is interesting how many people can't possible be expected to miss the latest mindless dribble from the moronic mind of their favorite cleb, but how many get up in the middle of the night to read twitter feeds or texts? Obviously it isn't that important. There are very few things that can't wait a few hours while you enjoy a movie or dinner. I think it is a sad state of our culture that someone can't disconnect for a few minutes and focus their attention on a movie, meal or the person they are with. Show some respect for the people you are with and that you have a little self control, and more importantly get over yourself, you aren't so important that if you miss a text or call the world stops turning.

I think people should pay the restaurant to hold onto their i(diot)Phone or Crackberry for an hour or two. If I owned a restaurant ot theater, I would build it to block cell signals. It can be (and is) done and it is legal as long as it is passive, not active. Devices that block cell signals are illegal in the USA, but oddly enough, the companies who make the devices say the US is their biggest market, and not just the Government. I have had reports of these devices in many Government buildings in DC, mostly in conference rooms, but also in large theaters and Churches all over the country.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS