Valve Opens Wide, Delivers (Strangely Familiar-Looking) Steam Community Updates

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:09 AM
It’s been a big week or so for Valve, if our flooded inbox is any indication. First, there was the big announcement that Valve’s Steam cloud gaming platform would be adding non-gaming software titles starting on September 5th. Then, there’s the four-day Steam Community update jamberoo.

Day 1 saw the announcement of Game Hub, which includes user-generated and moderated content, forum-like capabilities, news, and more.

Day 2 - Steam Group updates
Day 2 - Group updates

On Day 2, Steam announced Group updates. Basically, Valve wanted to make it as easy as possible to create and view Groups, and each Group now has its own discussion area (i.e., a forum) that facilitates both public and private conversations. Users can also list their favorite groups on their profiles so others can see and possibly join in themselves. (That sounds an awful lot like Facebook groups.)

Day 3 - Steam user content updates
Day 3 - User content updates

On Day 3, Valve announced updates to user content; specifically, all manner of your user-generated content are all accessible right from your profile, users can add anyone’s items as Favorites to find or share them later, and users each get an image wall on their profiles to collect their screenshots in a tiled format. (That looks an awful lot like Windows Phone tiles.)

Day 4 - Steam friend activity
Day 4 - Friend activity

The final announcement for Day 4 is about friend activity. The other updates are centered around more public displays of gaming achievement and debate, but now you and your friends on Steam can hang out in private. Users will get a feed of items upon which they and their friends can interact on various posts, and you can post a status update on your profile, too. (Er--yeah, that’s just Facebook.)

Unfortunately for all but 50,000 lucky Steam users, all of the aforementioned goodies are currently only available in beta for those who have achieved the Pillar of the Steam Community badge.

As a consolation/teaser, though, anyone can access the Team Fortress 2 Game Hub (and the new Mann vs. Machine game mode) as well as the New Steam Community Beta Group.

Oh, and Portal 2 Puzzle Maker so users can make and test out co-op “test chamber”. With that, we’re pretty sure that’s all the Valve news for now.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 6:37 AM

If any one is a tf2 fan they can send me a invite to team, id is fat78. Note i play a spy and i enjoy stabbing people in the back.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 7:11 AM

LOL, Ryan, is that you?? :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 290
Points 2,255

Sweet love steam.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 447
Points 5,270
sackyhack replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 11:19 AM

Cool, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I had no idea what the requirements were but just saw the beta in my gift box. It's kind of a cluster**** to be honest, but I can see it being useful. For me, well, I'm one of those people who has way more games and free time than some of my other friends so I often set my status to offline so they can't see how many games I play lol. So that community update is kinda wasted on me...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 1,750
InsideSin replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 12:14 PM

:] You got me at tf2 and lost me at spy :(

I've been hosting my own MvM server since the first day the wait times have been ridiculous.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
AlexZieba replied on Fri, Aug 17 2012 3:12 PM

Valve revamping Steam is definitely a response to fears of Windows 8 pushing Steam out of the PC game distribution market.

http://youtu.be/RPFgSRs4LLM

They have been adding loads of functions to Steam, and I hope it pays off because I would rather Steam do well on Windows 8 than having it pushed out by a stupid Microsoft game store.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,120
Points 12,925

Ever Since MvM two days ago, All the great servers That I Play in have been crashing, Mostly 2Fort. Except The Saxton Hale ones. Its a pain in the bu tt. The other ones , loadout access are unavailable at times. Hopefully things get back to normal soon.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 1,845
Erakith replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:58 PM

I've always been an advocate of Steam, as it's a hugely beneficial and easy to use platform. I enjoy seeing it grow and develop into something better, and love that they've decided to distribute software on it too.

these changes can only be for the good of the platform.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,099
Points 13,965
fat78 replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 6:20 PM

Not sure why, but i was sent two beta keys today. I'm about to go try it out.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS